Kings

Moriko ran through many forests and flat lands. Her mate was with her, his power strong enough to stay on the surface. Freedom, it was something she couldn't fathom. It seemed as if she had taken it for granted, but never again. Being imprisoned really changed you, and she know understood why humans sent the bad ones to a jail. That isolation drove the mind crazy. She was just happy that she was strong enough to fight it off. Although, if she was unable to see her fox, she was sure that it would have been easier to give in to the madness. She stopped for a breather. It was night time now, and she enjoyed the presence of the moon. It was amazing how the little things that used to seem to trivial now seemed so big. This new found appreciation was different, and she was hoping that it would last a long time, that she wouldn't forget it after getting back to a regular life. She was still going to kill Yomi, oh yes. But when she was strong enough, and when she had made up her mind about how to do it in the most satisfying way. Youko knew of this, and he disapproved. But he didn't have to know when it would happen, that way, he couldn't stop her.

"How long have we been running, Youko?" she asked her mate.

"About three days," he answered.

"Three days? It only feels like a couple of hours."

"It would after being isolated for so long."

"I wonder where we are."

"I'm not familiar with this territory."

Moriko looked around. She looked up and sniffed at the air. She walked up to the tree in front of her and observed it. Then, she jumped, hopping from branch to branch, going towards the top. She took in her surroundings, trying to get some sort of bearings. She saw a land mark, and widened her tawny eyes. Had she subconsciously been running here? It seemed so strange. But it was highly appropriate, considering the circumstances. She sighed mournfully, but knew what she had to do. Her mind made up, she dropped down the tree, back to the ground.

"Well?" Youko asked.

"There is something I have to do," she told him gravely.

"What is it koi?"

"Just follow me."

He nodded. She smiled slightly, but she still felt sad. She began to run again, making sure her mate was close to her. She knew he was curious about her actions, but that was the good thing about his demon form. Youko was well known for his patience. Shuuichi, the human he had taken over adapted to it, but it wasn't the same. She missed her mate. It was a very complicated relationship she had with him, and it would take many headaches to understand it. But they were happy, and that was all that mattered. She caught a whiff of a human. Perfect, it was the one she was hoping to find. That just meant she was on the right track. The sun was beginning to rise, and she was sure that Youko would be able to smell it as well. Although, he would never actually know what her real purpose here was until she had done it. It was getting closer to the afternoon, and that was when they arrived. It appeared that she wasn't the only one who came for this deed.

"Queen Moriko Chie!" yelled one of Raizen's old followers.

"San? Kurama? What are you guys doing here?" asked Yusuke.

"Hokushin, Yusuke. I've come to pay my respects to Raizen," Moriko answered. She walked passed her half demon brother and on to where the other demons stood.

"I didn't know that San knew my father."

"I was unaware of this as well," replied Youko.

Moriko was almost at the grave site. She saw the others there and smiled sadly. It had been a while since she saw any of these demons gathered in one place. She pulled a seed out of her clothes, and used her power to create her trademark rose, purple, barely open with pink at the top. She walked up to Raizen's grave, and placed it gently on the tombstone, a tear leaving her tawny eye.