Vengeance

The moonlight shone in the window, perfectly radiating on the creature lying next to him. Kurama couldn't sleep, he sat up in his bed thinking about his upcoming match. The path was clear, getting to his destination was the issue. There was so much at stake, the chance to lose everything that he had gained. Frowning, he looked down at San who appeared to be sleeping, laying on her right side with hair fanned out behind her. Her left arm had a slight reach towards him, naked, keeping the covers under her shoulder. His mark had stopped glowing, but it still stood out for all to see. Smiling lightly, he moved a strand of hair out of her face gently, admiring her beauty and feeling foolish for ever doubting that this was his mate. Lying down beside her, his emerald hues locked onto her delicate face.

The pressure was on him, not only did he have to make sure he stayed alive, he had to defeat Karasu - kill him - or else he would continue to pursue San. Her life was in danger, and it was his job to protect her. As much as he wanted to be able to do it, he had doubts about his own abilities should the worst occur. The wolf would be battling as well, however, he knew that Karasu wouldn't allow her to be killed. Kurama wished he had known about this earlier, could have prevented it from coming to this. San would have never told him if she believed his life in danger, regardless of what it meant for her.

The wolf opened her tawny eyes and stared directly into his. He was worried, she could see it, moving to pull him towards her and resting her head on top of his. The fight tomorrow filled her with anxiety, however, she would not burden him, only try to ease his troubles. No words needed to be said at this moment. San kissed him just as the sun began to rise. Dawn was here, bringing with it higher tensions. They still had a few moments, and the girl drifted off. Kurama kissed her cheek before leaving the room, giving one last look in her direction. The destination he had in mind was not far from his room, knocking lightly.

"Hn. I was wondering when you'd show up," said Hiei, opening his door.

"I'm sorry to bother you Hiei," said Kurama, stepping in.

The fox didn't move far from the closed entrance, his thoughts still haunting him. Coming here probably wasn't the best idea, but Hiei knew him, knew of his past, and that made him the best option. Genkai was gone, he didn't know of anyone else who could do this.

"Well? What do you want?"

"I have a favour to ask of you."

"Hn."

Kurama sighed, looking out the window. The sun was climbing higher, time getting closer. There was no more avoiding this, it had to be done now or he would miss the chance and the uncertainty would eat away at him. Setting his jaw, he found the gaze of the fire apparition, drawing in a breath before speaking.

"I'm going to be facing Karasu. This fight is personal, it stakes not only my life, but San's future. If I lose, he'll take her. If he does not die, he'll continue to pursue her no matter what happens to me. I'm sure you already knew who she was, and I will not question your reasons for keeping the information from me. I just got her back, I do not wish to lose her again. But this fight, it stakes everything on the two of us, and I cannot lose... I want to know if you will look after San for me."

Hiei stared at Kurama, face unreadable. If the fox was doing this, it meant that Karasu was someone he should be afraid of, someone with tremendous power. Someone that Kurama knew he couldn't defeat. It took a lot to spook the demon, the threat upon his mate a large motivator for him to win this. Yet, here he was, begging for help.

"Hn. Only until he's dead. She's on her own after that."

Better than nothing, "I understand."

Kurama turned to leave, still troubled by all that plagued him.