New Beginnings

Today was the day, Genkai's tournament was about to begin. There would be many fighters here, many who wanted to improve, their power and gain the fabled mystery of the spirit wave orb, her signature move. But one such fighter was forced to be here likely against his will. San knew that Yusuke, the Reikai Tantei, would show up to the dojo, her vision stating it so a few weeks ago. The wolf wasn't sure that she would be around to watch, not knowing his relationship with Kurama who wasn't around much since his sentence with Koenma. San was supposed to go in to see young ruler today, never meeting him before. In her old life, she had a few dealings with King Enma, but that was a different tale. Yusuke had told Koenma about her and she wasn't too thrilled about meeting him. It was simply the fact that there was no hiding her identity from Koenma. San was not interested in having anyone know who she was and where with the exception of Genkai and she wanted to keep it that way, at least, until she found Youko. Her training with Genkai was as hard as ever until the tournament and she knew it was because of those days she spent away with Kurama.

Genkai had warned her that no matter who won her tournament, San would be training and living with him. With the knowledge that Rando was out there, the wolf was simply planning on disobeying the direct order and killing him in order to save her master. Genkai didn't seem to care who won even though she could just end the tournament and pick Yusuke. Then again, Genkai wasn't one who really cared about people or demons, she just went through life for herself. San didn't know much about the history of the psychic, only that she was once in the Dark Tournament and that since then she despised demons. It was a privilege to know that the old woman had not only spared San's life but allowed her to live in the temple as long as she had. Who was she to question good fortune?

Now here she was, in Rekai, a place she hadn't been to in years. Ever since her "treachery", she hadn't bothered to show up to any of her summons. If King Enma truly believed her guilty, then she would've been taken care of centuries ago. Reikai hadn't changed much at all, it was the same. San remembered vividly the bustling of ogres all around, the bland walls that looked as if they would crumble with the weight put forth on them. Ancient tapestries far larger than necessary hung from the ceiling and down to a height that none could reach, telling their story of origins. San scrutinized them while waiting, hating every minute that she was forced to be somewhere that her secret was in jeopardy. What felt like hours was only five minutes and she had been there for nearly three hours. Something had to be going on, King Enma was usually much more efficient than this, at least, that's how she remembered him.

"Koenma will see you now," said the blue ogre.

Oh yeah, she was seeing Koenma, not Enma, that's why everything was probably so disorganized. The wolf got up from her seat, thankful backside still had feeling in it after sitting on such crude chairs. Eyebrows lifted as high as they would upon entering the chamber of Koenma, unable to see him with the stacks of paperwork extending the height of the ceiling if it could. The disarray and chaos the room certainly explained the following trend outside of it, San wondering if King Enma knew how much his kingdom was falling down under the rule of his son. Where was the young ruler anyway?

"San I presume?"

The voice came muffled from somewhere in behind the stacks of business files teetering, ready to fall with a single small breath uttered in the wrong direction. San's ear twitched when she caught the whisper of one such paper doing so, floating to the ground in a weightless manner. The wolf watched it, bringing her tawny gaze down right up until about two inches from the ground when her brow raised once again. Standing before her was indeed the young ruler of Reikai, the official robes telling her so despite the fact that Koenma appeared to be a toddler, pacifier and all. The boy must have been a runt because he wasn't growing very much at all and he was much older than she was - as far as she could remember anyway.