Now What

"We should rest here, Youko," said Moriko. The two had returned to Makai, to figure out what the wolves wanted, and what information they could give them. It was a long journey, but Moriko could sense them, and she knew they couldn't hide from her. The sun had risen, and she knew that they would be sleeping during the day, having hunted all night. Moriko had reset his sleeping schedule, and adjusted her own. Neither of them knew how much time they were going to spend with the wolves, but Moriko knew that nothing would change with them.

The demon fox looked at her, and then nodded. Upon arrival, he could finally feel what she was talking about every time she came here. This strange feeling of dread that wasn't normal for here. There was something out there, and it was just waiting for the perfect time to strike. The two of them created a temporary den, just as they used to before they were separated. He held her close, not liking the feeling he got from his surroundings. He barely slept, but he didn't dare let her know.

No, she had much more to worry about. He knew that keeping his guard up would require sleep, but he just couldn't. She seemed to rest peacefully every night, and he couldn't figure out how. It made him worry when she traveled here alone for days on end. He didn't trust the wolves. He couldn't figure out why centuries had passed and now they wanted to see her on good terms. He could only feel that it was a trap. But, that was just natural when it came to being in demon form in the Makai. It was hard to trust again, especially after the way they cast her out.

He watched her sleep, much like he used to when he traveled with the pack. He could never really adjust to her hours, but he could also go days without sleep. She was calm and serene, and he gently brushed some tawny hair from her face. He smiled slightly, and then went back to keeping his guard up, pulling her closer to his body. She smiled, moving to kiss his neck.

"Sleep," she commanded lightly. He kissed the top of her head, and tried to feign sleep. He wasn't sure if she could see through it or not, but if she did, she didn't say anything.

...

The sun was setting when they had arrived in the forest of the wolves. Moriko could smell them, and once she had entered the territory, she stopped. Youko was by her side, keeping his eyes and ears peeled. He knew that they would be about to collect them. He couldn't help but wonder why they had called the only member they had cast out of their clan. Why this sudden interest? Something just wasn't right about it. He caught a scent in the air, however, and he knew that the wolves were coming.

Moriko stood, waiting for them. Her eyes were deep in thought, and she looked almost majestic with her long tawny hair blowing in the wind. He stood tall beside her, a menacing look on his face and arms crossed. He saw three wolf demons come out from the darkness of the forest, and scowled at them. The two pups bowed to the lovers.

"The mighty Wolf Clan is honoured to receive Moriko Chie and her mate, Youko Kurama," said the younger one. A surprisingly deep voice came out of him, and he stood to face them.

"Let us make haste, I wish to bathe," she spoke down to them. Her head was kept up and demure, every inch a Queen. Youko's gaze was unrelenting as well. He knew how important it was that she show no sign of weakness, especially to the grunts. The two of them followed the lower class wolves, all the way back to the den. Moriko kept up her attitude, as they were brought through the first barrier of defense caverns, getting closer to where the king resided.

Nothing had changed in the past few years. That didn't surprise her. The den was only meant for sleeping and raising young. It was made so that if it is lost, they could make a quick get away without worrying about personal belongings. It was a life she was happy to leave behind.

They were brought to the guest caverns, the young pups saluting before leaving them. Moriko walked into the guest room, noticing that everything was just as she left it. Youko glared around the walls, smelling wolves everywhere. His mate walked into the chamber close to what he assumed was the bedroom. He followed her, and then blushed slightly. She was already naked, and in what looked like a hot spring. Her face was aglow and dreamy, as she let the water cover her face.