Chapter 37: Flashback

"M-mom? Dad?" You said instinctively, walking towards the TV. 

"Oh (Y/N)! You're not hurt or anything, right?" Your mother fretted.  
"No." Your voice when you were 10 came out of the screen. It was as if you had a head camera - the video was from your point of view. 

"(Y/N), we might not be around to guide you, so please take all of this advice. You may not remember this, but always remember who you are." You mother smiled, a tear running down her cheek. You had to bite your lip not to do the same. 

"You are a special girl. You have the strength, protectiveness and humor from your father." Your father said. 

"And the wise, caring and empathetic side like your mother." Your mother added. 

"Even now at age 10, you have the knowledge and humor of an older neko." Your father said quickly. 

"You need to love yourself, no matter who you are, or what challenges you might face." Your mother stroked your hair. "I'm sorry we couldn't give you the best." Your mother's voice cracked. 

"Mom! It's okay, really. I don't mind. You tried your best, and that's what matters to me!" Your younger self from the video said cheerfully. 

"And, most importantly, the robots are not to be blamed for what they have done." Your mother recovered, her voice stronger. 

"And, if you decide to marry a robot, you have our consent. Forgiveness is a gift." Your father chimed in. 

"Never forget who you are. You are a neko, and you should be proud of it." Your dad smiled at you. 

"We love you very much, and we will always be with you." Your mom said again, her eyes brimming with tears. Now your own eyes matched hers, but you bit down hard on your lip to keep them from falling. 

"But...Mom? Where are you going?" Your younger-you said. 

"Nowhere, honey." Your mom said, pulling you close into a hug. Without warning, your mother and father took off out of the alley you had been in. 3 loud shots were fired. 

"Mom! Dad!" (Y/N) Jr. said. She ran to their now-still bodies. The blood on the ground made her slip and fall, covering herself in her parents' blood. 

"Yeah, I think they're all dead. Yup, they're gone, including the little one. We are heading back to HQ now. Over and out." A robot's voice was heard. You could then hear the robots retreating. 

Your younger self stood up and looked at the now dead figures of your parents, then she ran as far as she could. Since the 'camera' was from your point of view, it became blurry as tears flew into your eyes. 

Suddenly, the screen shut off. The Planet Express crew looked stricken, as did you. However, they couldn't see you because your eyes were still on the screen and your back was to them. 

"I am so sorry, (Y/N)." the Professor said finally. He seemed very upset with himself. "I didn't mean to show you that. I didn't know what it was. Forgive me." He said sadly. 

You were still speechless and in tears. You let one fall, not letting anyone see it. You knees buckled and you fell to your knees, trembling. 

"Do we put on our taking-off-caps now?" Fry asked. 
"No, we give her some time and space." Leela said slowly. You heard footsteps as they all left the room. 

Now that you were alone, you let yourself cry.