Chapter 84: Investigation

A/N

See the end for the authors note.

Thank you.

*******

As you and Bender arrived at the lab, you flicked on the lights. No one was in the whole building. You noticed that Bender looked a little nervous. "Don't be worried, Bender! I'll make sure you're okay."
"But I don't want to change!" Bender complained.
"Don't worry. I've got you covered," you patted his shoulder reassuringly. "Alrighty, hop onto the table."
Bender did as he was instructed.
"Please open your control panel," you said as you gathered some supplies which included a handwrench, a set of screwdrivers, a welding tool, some wires and more.

"Now, I'm guessing that if Farnsworth designed something along the lines of 'secret,' he probably wouldn't have made the cord easy to find," you thought aloud. "I'm guessing that it's probably in the back of your stomach panel. Can I go into your panel as a cat? It might make it easier for me to see what's going on."
"Sure," Bender said hesitantly. You morphed into your cat form and crawled into his chest. You hadn't done this in a while. It felt nice to be in your old 'home.' Pushing nostalgic feelings beside, you crawled to the back and unlocked the panel at the top with a paw. You looked through the circuitry with a paw. You didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

You climbed out and morphed back into a human. "I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary..." You felt your face flush at the thought of the next question.

"Bender, could I, um... see your internal workings blueprint?" You said quietly, half-wishing he wouldn't hear you (which made no sense).
He scooted backwards, holding his hands up protectively. "Whoa there, no way. No no way. That's gross and personal!"
"There's no other way," you protested weakly.
"I mean... I showed the professor my blueprints a couple of times but it was so I could be fixed or whatever. But I never showed him my complete inner blueprint! That's just disgusting and I would never show a fellow robot that stuff, let alone a human!" Bender folded his arms and looked away, his stomach panel turning red.

You didn't know what to say. Showing an internal blueprint was EXTREMELY personal for a robot. Most never showed theirs to anyone, ever. Usually only heads of robot-making companies had it, but even then, they didn't look at the files out of respect. It was about the equivalent of showing a picture of yourself with no clothes, along with a diagram labeling all your internal organs AND your personality AND faults/flaws AND how to control and change you.

"I don't want to push you Bender. I know that asking you to show me your IB is really personal, and I don't want to invade your privacy. I totally understand if you don't want to give them to me. I'll help you to the best of my abilities, but... I can't promise anything without the files."
Bender considered this.
"I'll try not to look at anything you don't want me to! Plus, humans don't completely process the idea of IBs the same way robots do..." you tried offering reassurance, but all it achieved was your face growing redder.

Bender and you sat in silence for a moment.
You could hear your own breath.

BENDER'S POV:
Showing a human my IB? Nopety nope nope nope.
But... it was for (Y/N)... and I trust her...

Finally, I threw my hands up in the air and sighed overdramatically. "Oh all right, I'll do it! But under a few conditions, all right?"
She nodded obediently, surprised at my answer.
"One - Don't go snooping into anything that's unnecessary to the goal. Two - don't you even think about looking at my antenn-"
"Bender!" She cut me off, covering her face with her hands. "Did you seriously think I was going to go looking around like that?!" She squeaked, muffled through your hands. Her face was burning. "You know I'd never do something like that!"