STEVE-Not Dead Yet

*I'm sorry about this guys....It had to be done....*breathes deeply and tries to not cry* I dedicate this chapter to country_love53

I look into my son's sparkling blue eyes and am amazed at the curiosity that fills them. Obviously, he has noticed the large box that is sitting on the floor by Nat's feet. He smiles and beckons to the box. "What's that?" he asks. James...he was always curious...he could hardly stand waiting on Christmas morning... I decide to let Natalia answer. She slips the heels off her feet and pulls her legs up onto the loveseat. "Its a gift from your Uncle Tony." she says bluntly. It was so kind of Tony to create it for James... "When you were born he made it for you and then gave it to us to give you when you were ready. Both your mom and I have decided it is time." I say as I pick the box up off the floor and pass it to James. His face reddens in excitement and he sets the box down on the ground after he notices that it is a little bit heavy. He looks at Natalia expectantly as if asking for permission to open it. Her perfect teeth show as she smiles and laughs. She waves him on. "Go on James! Open it!" I have been waiting to see this moment for years....ever since Tony gave it to us... I put my arm around Nat and pull her close to me. She lays her head on my shoulder. "I love you Steve Rogers." she says while she watches James as he struggles with the duct tape that kept the box closed. "I love you Natalia." I respond. I love you just as much as the day we met...and the day I said "I do"..and I will love you till the end of the line... I hear a loud ripping sound as James gives up with attempting to pry the duct tape off the box and instead decides to rip the box in half. There, left in what remains of the box is a silver gauntlet. Nat grips my hand in excitement. We had always imagined the day he would open this... James tentatively lifts the gauntlet out of the box. He looks at it with puzzlement. "What is it?" he asks. I suppose if you didn't already know what it was, then it would look pretty weird... "Put it on your arm...your left arm since that is the one that you placed my shield on in the past." He starts to get excited. His hand is shaking a little as he gently slides it over his long sleeve shirt. It fits so well...like it was made for him...which of course it was... I feel Nat stir excitedly next to me. Neither of us say a word because we don't want to miss the moment when he finally figures out what it is. He starts moving his fingers as he trues to get used to it being on his arm. Nat leans over and whispers in my ear. "Ya think we outta go outside for this?" She is thinking of protecting the furniture...I think he can handle it...besides everything could be replaced, but his moment is priceless... "Let's just let it go." I respond. She returns back to her position of leaning on my shoulder. I can tell that James has an idea because he tenses his arm and moves it so that it is in front of his body. He appears to be in deep concentration as he focuses on the silver thing around his arm. "WOAH!" he yells as he falls backwards onto the couch in surprise. Coming from the metal gauntlet is a "holographic" shield. He reaches out his right hand to touch it. "It's solid?!! Cool!" he exclaims. He moves his arm up and down to test if it moves with him. "How does it work?" he asks. I still don't quite understand modern technology...especially when it comes to Stark, so I'll let Nat answer that one... "When you were born Tony took a little of your DNA and made it so that the "shield" is programmed to obey you. In time it will learn to anticipate your movements so that when you use it in combat it responds quickly, but right now it is learning your body language." She says. She sounds like she knows everything... She sees my startled expression. "I only act like I know everything Rogers!" she says. I turn my attention back to James. He is playing around with it and is fascinated with the technology. I hear my phone buzz in my back pocket. I ignore it. That would be Tony asking where I am....we do need to be heading back soon though..we have a world to save.... I pull myself off the loveseat and I go to sit beside James. He looks up at me in awe. "James..."I stutter. "Your mom and I have to go..." I say. Oh I don't know how to say this.... He interrupts me. "I know I know..It's just like every other time...you've got a mission...a responsibility to the world....stuff to avenge...Can you at least tell me where you are going this time?" he asks with a frown spread across his face. Natalia gets up and kneels in front of him. "Its not like that this time, Hun." Concern fills his face and he quickly gets up from the couch and goes to stand on the other side of the room. Instinctively the gauntlet projects a shield which protects the lower half of his torso. He is trying to hold his emotions together... He had to know this day would come sometime... His face turns red as his concern turns to burning rage. "WHO IS IT? I'm coming with you! I'll I'll...." he stops talking and lowers the shield. Natalia stands up and puts her arms around him. "You can't come with us James...this isn't your fight!" she says as she tries to soothe him. He brushes past her and stands a distance away. "Who is it?" he whispers. Should I tell him...it is normal for him to have these feelings...it is human...will it destroy him? "Ultron" I answer. His gaze hardens and he looks like all energy has been sapped from his limbs. "James, you can't come with us. We couldn't bear to lose you." Natalia says. He sadly looks at her. "And I can't bear to lose you!" he responds. I get up and go to him. I pull him into a hug. "Hey! We aren't dead yet! Don't give up hope! You remember what I always say? I'm with you to the end of the line! And I mean that!" I try to encourage him. Don't give him false hope...you know all to well what the outcome could be.... He looks up me and he tries to fight back the tears. His voice cracks and breaks. "I love you dad." he burrows his head into my chest and starts to cry. Natalia walks closer and envelopes James in her arms. I notice tears trickling down her cheek as she repeatedly mutters words to herself in Russian. I can't stop myself. Before I know it, I too am crying. ...Oh James....I know you will understand....

Well that was emotional to write *cries*
Any comments? If you liked it I would appreciate it if you clicked the little star (: Thx