Chapter 2

1 Week Later •

Things with Vic have been awkward, even though I've been trying to get his attention, he seems disinterested. Tay keeps trying to remind me that he's straight and I'm wasting my time, but I don't think so. I think there's more to him than that. He's just a little harder to get to open up, plus, he's dealing with his own internalized homophobia which can't be easy. He's probably confused.

"Keeeelllllin!" Tay whines, trying to get my attention.

"What?" I laugh, shaking my head.

"I'm bored. Let's do something fun. Let's go to the skate park!" She suggests, a bit to enthusiastically.

"Taylor, don't you see I'm trying to be sad here?" I questioned her. "I'm in no mood for your peppiness." I forced a smile, so she'd know I was only joking with her.

"Kellin Quinn Bostwick." She said in a motherly tone. "Get your sorry ass up and get your skate board right now." She demanded, pretending like she was my boss. I pouted, sticking my bottom lip out.

She giggled, getting up and grabbing her longboard.

"Aw man!" I crossed my arms. "My skateboard is all the way at my dorm, looks like I can't go with you. What a shame." I said, feigning sadness. Tay rolled her eyes.

I hated that she was constantly pushing me to go somewhere. Especially when I didn't want to or I wasn't feeling it. I'm sort of in this depression right now, and I'm not sure why. Either way, I don't want to go to the park. I have a gut feeling telling me not to go but here I am, and it's not like I'll have a choice anyway.

"Then we're going to get it." She stated simply.

"Okay, okay, fine. You're needy for attention." I teased her.

"Oh, shut the fuck up, you mangy little shit." She teased.

"Mangy?" I asked, laughing. "You couldn't have come up with a better word? Some better vocabulary, hm?" I teased, making her giggle along with me.

"Yeah, mangy. Problem? Deal with it. It's better than half the shit in your vocabulary." She told me.

"Bitch please, I am fabulous and you know it." I stated, matter-of-factly. I had a toothy grin on my face  as she rolled her eyes playfully at me and we headed out to go to my dorm.

Upon arrival, I grabbed my skateboard and we were off to the skate park. I faltered in step when I saw the one fucking person I didn't want to today. Yeah, you guessed it.

Vic Fuentes.

He was skating with his brother, Mike and his friends Jaime and Tony.

"Hey!" Tay yelled as she ran into me.

"We'll watch where you're going!" I snapped, unsure of why I got so angry all of a sudden.

"Well, maybe if you didn't stop walking so abruptly." She replied, staying calmer than I was. 

I sighed. "Right, I'm sorry."

"Don't let the Sexican get to your brain." She whispered to me with a giggle. I couldn't help but smile. That was why me and Tay were best friends. She always knew what to say to either make me laugh or smile. She just knew me.

I set my skateboard down, skating over to some of the specially made cement for the skaters and BMXers, starting to do a few tricks, trying to impress Vic, because, fuck, if I couldn't talk to him, I'd sure as hell make him want me without talking.

I skated for a while, not paying attention to anything but what would be in my way so I didn't hurt anyone, including myself, and so I didn't make myself look stupid. Eventually though, I did stop and look around. I noticed Vic was staring at me with that stupid grin of his, which was quickly wiped away when he noticed me looking. He looked away quickly, then I decided to look at Tay, who was smiling like she was proud at me, with a look that told me I'd impressed Vic, and we both knew it. 

Suddenly, I was shoved by someone, and I quickly caught myself after stumbling, turning around and seeing it was Mike, Vic's brother.

"You leave my brother alone, you little faggot, do you hear me!?" He yelled. I flinched, wincing at his choice of words. I'm not sure why he had something against gays, but he needed to calm down. He was probably the reason Vic was the way he was.

"I-I, okay.." I stuttered, hurrying to Tay and ushering her back to her car. I kept looking back, to see if he followed, but he didn't.

By the time we got back to the car, Mike was back with the other guys, laughing. Probably at me, right? I looked down, feeling sad.

"Kell.." Tay started. "It's okay.."

"No!" I snapped. "You always say it's okay, and it's not. You always make me go places when I just need some alone time, when I just need to think and clear my head. I hate people, I hate being in public, what don't you get about that, Tay!? What??"

She opened her mouth to speak, but quickly closed it and started her car. The drive back to the dorms was quiet and tense, so I didn't hesitate to get out, curling into a ball beneath my covers once I was in the comfort of my own dorm.

I don't need her. I don't need Vic. I don't need anyone. I need myself, and that's it. Right? It's going to be alright.