Part 12 What hurts the most

Start from the beginning

"Mer. I can call in and tell them I can't come in today. You shouldn't go alone," Derek was quick to jump at the chance to stay home with her and make sure she was alright.

"No, it's not a big deal. You have to work and I can do it by myself," she sighed as she lifted herself into one of the stools by the island.

"I can't let you do that alone Mer," Derek argued.

"She won't, I'll go with her. I won't be a bother, just someone there in case you need someone," Carolyn suggested, a sympathetic smile on her face.

"Oh I can't make you do that Carolyn," Meredith replied, trying not to seem like she needed help at all.

"I want to do it sweetie. Besides, it gives me some time to get to know you a little," Carolyn replied like it wasn't a big deal. Meredith couldn't deny her offer so she agreed.

"Alright, are you sure you're ok Mer?" Derek asked in a whisper tone, his head close to hers. She nodded in response and he kissed the side of her head.

"I should probably get going," Derek said with a smile on his face. Meredith felt slightly hopeful that maybe spending some time with Carolyn would make her erase the opinion that Nancy set forth.

"Are you alright to drive because I can easily do that for you?" Carolyn offered, Meredith shook her head.

"No it's fine, I can drive," Meredith tried to smile, grabbing her car keys and purse. She didn't feel like eating, though it did seem rude not to. Carolyn went along with it, following Meredith out the door without any argument.

The ride to the crematory was silent, not even the car radio was playing music. Carolyn fought the urge to talk Meredith through it, she knew Meredith was a private person but all her emotions were shown through her eyes. Carolyn saw the sadness and hurt and she wanted to help but she knew that Meredith needed to open up first.

"So have you felt them move yet?" Carolyn asked, making light conversation about a safe subject.

"Yes, they move like crazy all the time. It's not much on the outside except sometimes, Derek has felt them move a few times," she had a smile on her face talking about the babies which made Carolyn smile also. She didn't know much about Meredith but she felt like Meredith was going to be a good mother for her grandchildren.

"That's good, Derek moved constantly. He always liked to get right on my bladder and just kick away," Carolyn chuckled at the fond memory. Meredith laughed also.

"Baby B does that, she especially loves to do flips," Meredith grinned then felt tension grew in the room. She remembered they hadn't told Carolyn that the babies were girls.

"You guys are having girls?" Carolyn smiled, she knew Derek would be an amazing father either way but she expected him to be better with girls.

"We are, we wanted to surprise you in a big way and now I ruined it and Derek is going to be so upset because he wanted to tell you. Oh can you act surprised when he tells you? God sometimes I can just be so absent minded and start rambling like I am now so I should probably just stop," Meredith rambled and Carolyn laughed loudly.

"I'm sorry dear, it's just Derek was right," Carolyn continued to chuckle and Meredith couldn't help but laugh along. This was bonding, she was actually bonding with her mother-in-law and wasn't wanting to run the entire time. It wasn't until they arrive at the crematory that Meredith started to get quiet again and back into her dark and twisty mood.