Chapter 16 Revelations

Start from the beginning

          The green hue of Logan’s eyes twinkled for a slight second; it made Exsavior believe that he might have wandered into an unpleasant subject.

          “It’s funny that you ask. I guess shapeshifters are an odd species. Over the years, we shift and shift due to our cells decomposing at alarming rates. The shape shifting process rejuvenates them, even if just for a few weeks. I guess you could say that it’s the price we pay for not having bones and living for so long.” He laughed, loudly this time. “To answer your question, because we shift endlessly, our true identity becomes lost. In other words, we forget who we really are and how we looked when we came to this world.”

          The last words sounded less jolly than the first couple statements. Exsavior felt a pang of guilt for prying on such a delicate subject. He simply asked due to curiosity, but never did he expect such an answer. To be unable to remember who you truly are must be an overwhelming punishment.

        “I am truly sorry. I can’t even begin to imagine how it must feel for you—” Logan stopped Exsavior with a wave of his hand before he could finish.

        “Don’t sweat it kid. I’ve lived for a very long time; you tend to get used to it.” He sighed and proceeded to make his way into one of the halls that Exsavior assumed led to his bedroom.

       He could only wonder how many drawers Logan possessed. It was probably a repertory of clothing for both human females and males of all shapes and sizes. When Logan left Exsavior alone to his thoughts, he couldn’t avoid the flooding questions that stirred in him.

      ‘What is Ara…? How can my inner wolf have a voice? I’ve never heard of any other pack member speak of such a thing back when they lived…’ It was true; not even his father mentioned anything of the like to him, and as far as Exsavior knew, voices of a supposed ‘inner wolf’ only existed in false manmade fairytales.

          Then again, maybe they had some truth to them, seeing on how he refused to believe that he was losing his sanity. That would just be the last straw; to fight Ezekias with a shaky grip of reality would be like asking a blind man to drive a car.

          Shortly after debating with himself on his lucidity, Logan finally returned. Only this time it was Margery, wearing a comfortable glossy thin night gown. Her black hair was dangling neatly in curls around her shoulder on the contrary to her usual tied bun.

          “Ungh, finally I’m out of that skin.” Exsavior eyed her as she stretched.

          “I can’t really control what that moron says to you whenever I’m him.” Her eyes opened as they fell on Exsavior’s silent stare. A curious smirk made its way to her face.

          “You like what you see?” He blinked a few times unsure of the question. Exsavior understood it, but he couldn’t believe he heard it.

          “What?”

          She laughed. “You’re staring, do you like older women, Exsavior?” Her voice sounded sly.

      The question made him even more uncomfortable, as he stood. “I don’t have time for this nonsense; I need answers.” He demanded.

          Her laughter was starting to annoy him. “Oh please, calm down Exsavior. I’m old enough to be your mother in like fifty different lifetimes.” She teased and it made Exsavior mad out of embarrassment.

          “Can we please talk about what’s important here?”

          Raising her hands in a sign of rendition, she nodded between laughs. “Alright, I didn’t know you were such a prude.” He scowled, but decided to speak his inquiries.