Undercover Princess Mia : Chapter Sixteen

"You know him?" I heard Noah ask from behind and my heart hammered against my chest wildly. My lips quivered and I blinked back my tears.

"Know w-who?" I stuttered and pretended that it was not him.

"My dad, his middle name is John," Noah confirmed my doubt and I took a few steps back until my back hit the shelf. I was beyond shocked, my entire body shook and twitched. All the old memories stormed in my empty brain, mocking my fate. Noah's deep blue eyes studied my face carefully as he tried to calm me.

"N-No, I . . . well, I don't know him! I-I just saw his name in one of the trophies!" I lied and went into a state of hysteria. I nearly ran away from the shattered photoframe which contained the photograph, but I tripped over something and Noah's strong arms immediately prevented me from falling. "I-I'm sorry about the frame, I didn't mean to-to break it."

My mind was completely blank as I sat down to collect the pieces of broken glass on the floor.

"Hey, hey, hey, don't touch that! Are you crazy?" Noah grabbed me by my arm and lifted me up. He examined my hand to see whether I cut myself and I jerked my arm away from his grasp.

"I'm not feeling w-well. I should a-a probably leave," I stammered miserably and I didn't even glance at him.

Tears pricked my eyes as I walked away quickly, straight out his room.

"Wait, let me come with you--- "

"No! I-I'm fine!" I shouted back and
ran straight out of Noah's house. Tears were now freely rolling down my cheeks. I couldn't believe that Uncle John was Noah's father or I refused to believe! This couldn't be possible.

I arrived at my house and banged on the door frantically like a madwoman and Katy quickly opened it, her eyebrows drawn into a deep frown.

"Amelia, what happened?" She asked in confusion and I shoved her away. I rushed to my room, ignoring her. I let myself fall on the bed as I weeped loudly, my ugly cries booming through the house.

I heard Katy's loud footsteps and sniffed, refusing to cry in front of her. She unlocked my room and quickly sat beside me while placing her hand gently over my trembling shoulder and asked worriedly, "What happened princess? Tell me . . . Please, tell me."

I couldn't form any words and my mouth opened and closed like a gasping fish. All my thoughts had gone haywire and I couldn't fathom the cruel game fate was playing with me. I just continued crying silently.

"Amelia, tell me! Tell me what happened! I said, tell me!" she demanded forcefully. I could hear her yelling, but couldn't process the words she said.

"Tell me, did you see Ethan? Or what happened? Oh, honey! Tell me, please . . . I think I should call Jack," she mumbled helplessly and got up.

"I-I killed him," I confessed in a low voice and again started crying loudly. I couldn't think of anything, but the dark old days. The days which destroyed two families, his and mine completely.

"What are you saying princess? Explain it clearly, will you?" Katy asked me softly and I hugged her tightly. I cried on her shoulder while she stroked my back, trying to soothe me.

"I killed John, Katy! I killed him . . ." I reiterated shamefully.

"You didn't kill Noah's father Amelia, you didn't. It isn't your fault."

I was silent for a little while as I slowly let new information sink in me. How did Katy know that Uncle John was Noah's dad? I quickly let go of her and blinked at her rapidly. She gave me a perplexed look and I immediately scrambled from the bed and stumbled back.

"How did you know--- "

"Know wh-what?" she asked, her eyes wide as saucers.

"That Uncle John is Noah's father!Damn it!" I yelled at her and her lips pursed into a grim line.

"Princess . . . I . . . "

I wiped my tears as my bloodshot, furious eyes met with Katy's pleading ones.

"Dad sent me here out of all places in the world, didn't he? But why?" I questioned almost to myself. I needed an answer to all this bull crap going on. I came here to live away from the ugly truth, but now everything was coming back to reality. It was like the more I was trying to run away, the more closer I was getting.

I grabbed my phone from the stand and dialed all the possible numbers I could recollect.

"Whom are you calling?" Katy asked dubiously and I glared, shooting daggers at her.

"Dad," I replied curtly.

"But don't--- "

"I need an answer! I need an answer to all this!" I snapped at her and realization hit me. I was acting so cruel to her when all this crap was actually caused by me. I didn't have any right to yell at her, it was because of me that all this happened in the first place. I was the cause of all problems, the centre of a cobweb.

The phone slipped from my hand and I dropped on my knees. I wiped my face roughly and leaned against the wall, sighing. Katy was immediately at my side, crouched beside me. I apologised to her softly, "I'm so sorry . . . I didn't mean to yell at you and all this drama-I didn't even expect all this. It was so sudden--- "

"It's okay, honey. It wasn't your fault, you know that, right?" she yried her best to console me.

"But why? Why did Dad sent me here out of all places? Why?"

"Your dad wanted us to look after Noah's family. If their family was doing good now--- "

"It's been six whole months, Katy! Six months and I still remember that day. Six months and I wanted to forget everything, but my dad! Oh god, he's" being ridiculous just like my mum!" I cut her off while trying to calm myself.

"He just wanted to make sure that if everyone was doing well in their family."

"You knew about all this then why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't. I couldn't even when I wanted to. Even when I saw you falling in love with Noah," she said in a barely audible voice which came out like a whisper and I laughed, contradicting her statement.

"Noah blames his father's best friend for the risky job. He blames my dad! He would hate me too then, besides I'm his father's murderer. I'm at fault," I said in a shaky voice and tugged at my wig.

"It wasn't anybody's fault, it was our fate," Katy murmured, got up from the floor and then she handed me a black diary.

"Here, read this." She patted my shoulder and quietly left. The diary was my sister's, she wrote it when she was sick. She wrote it six months ago, after everything went downhill. She wrote it for me, to give me strength and hope. It was a compilation of all the famous quotes that motivated me to push forward.

I opened a random page and saw old tear stains on the page, the tears that I cried six months ago.

- Stars can't shine without darkness.

I smiled ruefully as I read the sentence and then flipped through the pages. I missed my sister a lot.

- Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.

I traced the curvy words scrawled on the plain sheet with my fingers. My fingers ran over the once smooth page which was now rough due to my fresh tears. Suddenly I heard a low, faint voice. I wiped my tears and clumsily got up. I pushed through the curtains and saw none other than Noah.

"Strawberry, open the window, quick!"