XVII

Day after day, more and more letters come. By the time Friday came, I started to have a little stack of letters from Kyle underneath my bed. Mom and dad are becoming suspicious and I hope it doesn't lead to them asking me why I'm getting all these letters and who they're from. One of these days they could snoop through my room and read all of them. That would be a disaster.

A knock fills the air right when I'm about to open the third letter. I hide it back under my bed as the door opens. It's only Jamison and a sigh of relief escapes my mouth. As he closes the door and locks it, I grab the third letter again. He sits down across from me and he looks upset, more on the disturbed side. 

"Ready to open more letters today?" he asks unhappily. I sigh and unhappily roll my eyes. Kyle is making me very unhappy lately because of the disturbing notes he's giving me. "Not really." I reply after sometime. I play with the lose flap on the envelope and see the folded paper that will say another threat. "But..it has to be done." I add. "We need to open them in order. When they're all read, we burn them all and put it behind us. In the past." He nods and we organize the letters. Here goes nothing. I open #3.

4/28/16
Dear Lainna Belle Marie Jones,

It's such a shame you didn't answer me back yet. I was so looking forward to a conversation with you. I guess you don't feel the same. It hurts Lainna, it really does. Soon you'll feel the pain your disgusting mother had to go through. This isn't the last you'll hear from me. 

-Dad

A shudder runs through my body and I suddenly feel cold, vulnerable. It feels like someone is staring at me, but there's no one else around besides Jamison. My eyes suddenly start to sting, but I can't cry now. Not ever. I can't let him know he hurts or scares me. I put the card down and open the next one. #4.

4/28/16
Lainna Belle Marie Jones,

There, there, my beautiful little angel. There's no need to be frightened. I'll only make you feel powerless and worthless. I've had your death planned since you were born and nothing is stopping me. You're worthless and stupid. That's why I didn't take you when me and Heather got a divorce. You won't have to feel the pain anymore, Lainna. I've been watching all your moves. I know your depression is still in there, I'm going to help pull it back out by these letters. Have a wonderful day, bitch. Oh p.s. watch your back, and your stupid little boyfriend too.

-Kyle

I forget about what I just said. I let the tears pour down my face, shaky exhales filling the air. Jamison embraces me in a big hug and I keep crying. "It's okay, it'll be okay." he tries assuring me, but I don't believe him. He wouldn't be saying that if he knew what was said in that letter. He wouldn't say that if he knew that Kyle's after him too.