XV

I pace back and forth across the room, feet pounding on the hardwood floors. I run my fingers through my silky, brown hair as Jamison sits on my bed, shaking his leg nervously. We had just gotten back from the very lovely encounter with Kyle and now we sit here and panic. We're only panicking because we have nothing left to do.

When we got home, dad was surprised by our early arrival. We lied and said there was nowhere to stand at in the mall because it was so packed. He believed it and said that it sucks when that happens. We didn't dare mention anything about Kyle seeing and speaking to us. Jamison was about to spill what happened, but I somehow interrupted him with a lie I didn't even know was coming.

"What am I supposed to do, Jamison?! I can't tell mom or dad, mom will have a complete whack-attack and call the police on him because He's not even supposed to be talking to me," I say and start pacing back and forth again. When they got a divorce, mom told him to never come near either of us and to never talk to me. He either forgot about that promise or there was something so important he needed to say. What could he possibly have to Say?

"Lainna, just don't tell her what happened then if she'll make a big deal out of it. And can you please stop pacing, it's making me anxious." he says. I do as he asks and sit next to him. He lies down and i sit with my legs criss-crossed.

Moments later, I hear the door knob being jangled as someone opens the door. I look to see who it is and it's just mom with a white envelope in her right hand. Wait, an envelope in her right hand? My heart starts to race as she looks at me.

"You have some mail," she says waving the envelope in the air. She seems a little concerned and I pray she didn't read it. I try to answer her as calmly as I can. "From who?" I ask, my voice giving in a little at the end. I don't know why I'm so scared. She seems like she's in a rush.

"I don't know. It doesn't have an address or a name or anything. Like it was just put in our mailbox by the person it was written by," she says. "But, um...here it is." She adds and holds the card out. My heart starts pounding in my ears, making it harder to hear her. It's probably just a birthday card, but I don't know anyone who knows my address. I don't know anyone at all.

I get up, the bed creaking from holding my weight, and take the card from her. I look at her and she smiles weakly, exiting the room. I sit back on the bed and Jamison sits up.

"Who is it from?" Jamison asks, peeking over my shoulder as I open it. I turn my body so I'm facing him just so he can't read it. I finally get the envelope open and take out the letter. I unfold it gently and read it. I could've sworn my heart stopped at the first sentence. "What? What is it?" Jamison asks, trying to look at what it says. "Lainna."

I read it over again.

4/27/16
Dear Lainna Belle Marie Jones,

I enjoyed our little chat we had at the mall, and I hope to have many more with you. I hope you know that I miss you, and I never meant to hurt you in anyway. I've been waiting for this day, to finally send you this letter. Everything is going as planned. I would like to see you again, I hope you know. You've grown to be a beautiful young lady, Lainna.

I love you,

Dad.💕