Chapter 23

***** Can't believe I have over 500 reads' on this story! Thank you so much  to everyone who's been patient with me. I promise to update quicker <3 And please if anyone has any suggestions to make this story better I'd be happy to hear them.  Thanks bunches! <3 *****

My heart began to thud roughly against my rib cage as I stared at him.  Doing my best to breathe evenly, I inhaled one more shaky breath.

"What the hell do you mean, you remember me?"

His eyes shifted to the ground, not daring to meet mine.  I kept my gaze on his face, waiting impatiently as he tried to find the words he wanted to say.  His eyes moved to the window behind me, his expression slowly turning stone cold.

"I remember you.  Seein' you in the woods when you were little.  We never really talked, but we'd see each other when we were in the woods. I was older than ya, so you probably ain't gonna remember me.  Merle was in and out of juvie so you definitely ain't gonna remember him.  Your older brother, I saw him every now and then, but I remember you two together some times"

He lifted his hand, gesturing to the burned down house behind me.  As I stared at the black crumbling house, Daryl's voice spoke quietly in my ear. Sending chills down my spine from the lack of emotion.

"That house was mine. My mom, she always liked havin' cigarette in bed. I was out riding my bike when I saw a bunch of firetrucks surroundin' my house"

A silence fell between us as my heart ached as my mind so vividly remembered that day. Now knowing that it was his house, I held back the tears that wanted to break free.  The fact that he remembered my brother made it all seem unreal.  What are the odds of this shit happening?  Us being neighbors, growing up on the same block then us finding each other?

I wish I could have known him more when we were kids, a friend back then would have made life easier, even if it was just a little.

Turing to face him, "I don't remember you, but I do remember the day your house burned. I- I'm so sorry"

His eyes flashed sadness before looking down at me.  Placing my forehead against his chest "I wish I knew you back then"  My voice came out above a whisper.  His stiff body slowly relaxed, a pair of arms awkwardly wrapped around my waist, holding me in place.

His chest vibrated as he chuckled softly "I was a loud mouth punk ass redneck kid, you wouldn't have wanted to know me"

Smiling against him "Oh, so you're exactly the same as you were then?"

"Shut up" he grumbled in my ear.

As we walked down stairs we stopped at the porch steps.  Sitting down at the same time, I felt his arm graze mine causing goosebumps to rise. 

"So why did you bring us here?"

"Merle and I had an old tree house not to far from here.  It's probably better then the garbage houses around here.  Figure we could go see it"

Nodding my head in agreement, we set off on the motorcycle to wherever this tree house was.  It would be off the ground and away from walkers which gave me some peace at mind.    This tree house could offer us some sanctuary until we find somewhere better.  I cant complain since I've slept outside with practically nothing over my head.  A tree house sounded like heaven.

I hugged Daryl tighter as he drove his motorcycle on the uneven ground.  The forest began to thicken, a few walkers would reach for us as we sped past them.

We began slowing as we neared a large tree, looking up into the tall tree you could see a small tree house with one window.  The trunk of the tree had  boards nailed into the bark, making a makeshift  ladder.  Getting off the bike, I looked around the area seeing absolutely nothing.  It's too quiet.