Chapter 14

It's been about a week since the day Merle said I was the 'cure' though I don't believe him. But it was no use arguing with him. Merle told us that there was a CDC in Atlanta so that's where we're heading.

Merle was on his motorcycle as Daryl and I road in the truck and followed him. I was sitting sideways in the seats so I could stretch my legs some. Every now and then I would nudge Daryl's hip when it felt too quiet.

Sighing loudly "Does he even know where he's going? We've been on the road for a while" It feels more like forever though.

Daryl glanced away from the road to meet my eyes "Probably not. But is it worth arguing with him?"

Smirking down at myself "No, I guess not. He's about as stubborn as a mule. Though, that's insulting poor donkeys"

I caught a glimpse of a small smile on Daryl's mouth which sent a wave of happiness though me.

We both chuckled at my joke but stopped when we heard the truck's engine begin to make noises. Can we ever have a little happiness?

Daryl cursed under his breath "I told him we would never make it on this tank of gas"

Sitting up as we slowly came to vault in the middle of the road. Merle stopped and got off his bike as we got out of the truck. I don't like being out in the open like this. There were only a few cars around us. I couldn't see any rotters at the moment.

I had my knife in my hand just in case.

"I told ya we would get far" Daryl grumbled at Merle.

"Calm down baby brother. We'll figure something out"

Looking to the sky, the sun was already being to set "We should probably sleep in the truck. Its going tot get dark soon"

Daryl glanced to me and nodded in agreement. We both looked to Mere waiting for his input.

"Yeah, you're probably right. Let's sleep in the truck then figure out what to do in the morning"

Daryl grabbed his cross bow from the bed of the truck and opened the driver's side door for me to get in. Merle climbed into the passenger's side while Daryl closed the door as he got in the driver's side. As I settled in the middle seat, I leaned my head back trying to relax. We all knew we wouldn't get much sleep.

As night settled, I looked to Merle who had his head leaning on the window, he was snoring softly. Looking over to Daryl, I could just make out his face and was able to his eyes trained on the walker slowly making its way to the truck.

I could feel my body tense, Daryl seemed to notice. I felt a hand press down on my left knee, trying to send me some comfort. Keeping my movement very limited, so the corpse wouldn't notice us. I slowly placed my hand over his, squeezing it softly as we both watched the corpse walk pass the driver's side.

I visibly relaxed when I felt like we were safe again. Glancing down at both of our unmoving hands. I carefully tucked my legs to the side of me, doing my best not to disturb Merle. Both of our hands now rested on the leather seats, both of them just barely touching.

I was determined to stay awake with him, so he wouldn't have to keep watch alone. But my quiet yawn was unavoidable.

Daryl's gravelly voice spoke out, barely above a whisper "Go to sleep. We'll be fine"

Turning my head up at him "What if you get tired?"

He shrugged his shoulders "I'll wake up Merle if I do"

Satisfied with his answer, I glanced at Daryl's shoulder. I instantly thought of using him as a pillow. Feeling drowsiness become stronger. I placed my head on his shoulder softly. His body tensed for a split second but then relaxed right away.