Chapter 12

"I just don't understand. She had the damn fever, she was on death's doorstep!"

Merle's voice was loud in my ears. There was a slight throbbing in my back. Making me wince softly. I could tell I was in bed, by how soft it felt under my body and head.

"Why ain't she turned?" Merle spoke again, Daryl must be in here somewhere.

"We'll figure that out later" A gruff voice mumbled near my ear causing goose bumps to rise on my arms.

"That don't answer my damn questiong though, why the hell is she still alive? We seen a bunch of people turn just by being scratched"

Opening my eyes slowly, it feels like I've been hit by a damn truck. Feeling the bed dip to my right and I met a pair of blue eyes. Before he could hide it, I could see the relief in them which calmed me a bit.

"How ya feelin'"

"I, I don't know". My voice scraped against my throat. Daryl handed me a canteen of water, the cool liquid soothed my throat as slurped it greedily.

I handed the canteen back to Daryl "Thank you". It sounded foreign to say out loud.

"What the hell is going' on?". Merle's voice blurted out. Looking at him standing at the end of the bed, he looked at me with a hard confused eyes. Feeling my own eyes grow wide, I felt my chest beginning to heave up and down.

"How long was I out? W-why am I still alive? I should of changed" Looking between Merle and Daryl, they seem just as confused as me.

What the hell is going on? Why the hell am I still myself?! I should have a knife through my skull! At least I hope they would have done that..

Sitting up quickly I looked to Merle "You said I had the fever? Then why the hell am I-

"We don't know" Daryl spoke, I felt the fear and confusion in my own eyes. Spotting the dresser with a mirror on it across the room , I jumped out of the bed avoiding Daryl's hands trying to stop me.

Lifting up the back of my shirt, which I don't recognize. There was four distinct gashes along my back. The outter-edges were purple and bruised. The gashes looked like they're already healing?

"How long have I been asleep?"

Turning my head to Daryl and Merle, "It looks as if it's been healing for a week or so" Daryl walked up behind me, examining my back. His rough hands grazed over my sides causing a shiver to rack through my body.

"Sorry" He mumbled out.

"You were only asleep for a few days, I don't understand"

Pulling the shirt back down, Daryl's eyes practically burned through the fabric. I don't like all this attention on me. Glancing up at both of them, I didn't know what to say to them. Hey! I got scratched by a damn corpse but it's okay because I didn't turn! Placing my hands on the sides of my head, my head throbbed against my temple trying to understand what was happening.

"Can I be alone please?" I'm not even sure if they heard me, my voice so small and weak but all I want is to be alone and figure this shit out on my own.

Merle gave me a short nod and walked to the doorway. Daryl stayed where he was with his arms crossed, after what seemed like forever he finally began moving for the door.

Turning myself back to mirror, I finally really looked at my own reflection. Big mistake, there was dark circles under my eyes and my hair was down and a knotted mess. Placing the palms of my hands against my eyes, I could feel myself starting to panic. How the hell am I still here? There's no reason I should be alive, I got scratched, I should have turned. The floorboards creaked behind me making me jump slightly at the sight of Daryl leaning against the door frame.