Chapter 10

"Shut up!  Your gonna scare the fish!". Standing perfectly still watching the fish swim just feet away from me.

"You won't catch anything with that damn stick!"

Tilting my head very slowly, not making any sudden movements.  Daryl was smirking as he stood at the sandbank, he's been making fun of my fishing since we got here.  Tightening my hands around my makeshift spear.    "I don't see you catching any fish with that damn fishing pole"

"Give it time.  I'll have a dozen before you even catch one!"

Turning my head back to the water beneath me.  This was Merle's idea, he should at lest help fish, bastard just relaxing against a damn tree claiming that he's "keeping watch". A decent size fish suddenly swam in front of my legs. Letting a slow breath out I shoved the stick down roughly, the sand swirled around my legs making it  difficult to see if I got it.  Lifting my spear into the air, letting out a squeal of excitement.

"Look at what I caught!! Oh my! Is this a fish?! It can't be, I was told I'd catch nothing with this damn stick"   Doing a happy dance in the knee deep water.  Trotting out of the water with a smug smile as I passed Daryl.  The fish flopped around the stick but slowly stopped as I yanked it off the stick and sat it in a small bucket next to Merle.

Smiling up at me, he gave me a short nod "Hurry up baby brother, your slackin'!"

Daryl rolled his shoulders but didn't reply, only making Merle laugh out.  If he'd go out into the water some, maybe he catch something.  Smiling to myself as I walked up to him I playfully bumped into his arm.

"Where's your fish?  Said you would have a dozen"   Smirking as he let out a grunt of frustration.

"Ya got lucky"  he growled out.

Turning around to walk backwards into the water so I could face him "Well um, good luck!". Kicking some water at him and watched it splash all over him.  Running quickly backwards, giving us some distance.  He's going to down me...eh, it was worth it.

Catching his gaze, his face was drenched as he scowled at me, his hands look like he's going to break that pole.  Taking another step back, I couldn't erase the permanent smirk on my face.  His expression slowly went from angry to eerily calm.  Stepping back again, almost falling in the water but catching my balance.  His expression made my smirk disappear.

We were maybe 20 feet away from each other, but I still didn't feel far enough from him. 

"Your going to regret doing that". His low voice somehow reached to my bones, making a shiver run my spine.  I could feel my grow big.

Regaining my composure quickly and crossing my arms "I'm waiting.  I don't seem to be regretting it"

His attention went back to his fishing pole, ignoring what I said.  Ha! Figures, he is all bark and no bite.  Turning around, where should start looking for fish?  Should probably stay away from him, he'll just distract me.  Walking to the right, finding a nice spot to stand, the sudden sound of splashing caught my attention.

Spinning around, I came face to face with a tall body standing inches from me.  His expression was serious but I could catch a glint of playfulness in his eyes.

"I should throw you in the water, give me one reason why I shouldn't?"

Turning my head to Merle,  I could just make out his stupid smile,  he was standing at the edge of the pond now. Looking back at Daryl, trying to think of something quick. 

"I-I'm injured, if you throw me you could make my leg worse".  My voice wasn't believable, even to my ears.  He and I both knew my leg was almost healed.