Chapter 21

The sound of tapping on the car muffled groans  quickly coaxing me out of my sleep.  My heart jumped into my throat at the sight in front of me.  At least a dozen walkers surrounded the car and even more walkers behind the ones closest to us, They were all grasping and pawing at the windows trying to get to us. 

Shoving hims roughly on the chest "Daryl!" I hissed through my teeth.

His eyes snapped open looking at me in panic then to noises around us.  Whipping his head back and forth, he grabbed his crossbow from the front seat.  His eyes Darted all around us, as if he couldn't quite comprehend what was happening.  Now is not to lose your mind Daryl, dammit!

"What do we do?!"  His eyes focused on mine, a loud crack from behind me caused me grab on to him and backing into his body, trying to separate myself from now cracking window.  We were huddled in the corner of Daryl's seat, both of  us searching a way out of this bullshit situation.  Yanking out my knife, I inched myself toward the cracked window.

Slowly cranking open the hand operated window, just enough to get my hand out.  I stabbed the walker closest to me.   Missing it's brain and only getting just below the eye; it's rotted face gnawed at my knife, successfully causing it to lose it's decayed teeth in the process.  Pulling the knife back I was able nail it right in the eye the second time making it fall to the ground.

I jerked back as hands began to paw at the window.  Reeling the window back up, I turned to Daryl; looking for any sign of hope from him.

Grabbing his chin with my hand, forcing him to meet my eyes "Daryl.  What. Do. We. Do?"  I spoke my words clear and slow, hoping he would understand what I was saying.  His eyes so lost as they looked into mine.  Like a child waking up from a nightmare, his eyes were as wide as saucers and frightened.  Then something snapped.

"We gotta push our way out.  It's the only way.  Grab your stuff and just follow me"  his low serious voice sent chills down my spine.  I nodded my head mechanically as I grabbed my bag like I was told.  I crouched behind him as he faced the door, his crossbow aimed and ready to shoot anything that gets in his way.  My heart was beating roughly against my chest, I could feel dizziness from fear.  But this was no time to be scared. 

Shoving the door open roughly, he quickly shot walkers in front of him as I followed close behind.  I stabbed and kicked away walkers on my sides.  Hands pawed at my free arm as I tried to take down the walkers.  I ran toward Daryl's body that was now getting farther and farther away.  The groans of walkers were all I could hear, the growls and snapping of their teeth.  A labored scream escaped my lips as I heard snarls right behind my ear.   I caught sight of him turning around but lost him in the group of walkers.

Finally seeing a clearing where there was no walkers, I pushed my legs as hard as I could heading toward the forest line.  My chest heaved up and down as I searched for the perfect tree.  Snapping to the right quickly.  I forced myself to run harder and make a B-line for the closest tree that looked like the perfect getaway.  I reached my hands up to the closest branch of the tree.  Shoving my knife quickly back into the holster I began pulling myself up the tree. I felt hands yank on my feet, I kicked away the hands grappling at me as I climbed higher and higher into the tree.  I slowed down as I the groans lessened.  I perched myself high onto one of the branches, having the perfect view of the highway.   I searched for Daryl but couldn't see him or his bike anywhere.  My heart clenched as minutes passed without any sight of him on his bike.  He has to be somewhere, anywhere.  I know he has to have made it to his bike, he's probably waiting for the walkers to clear, right?  

Looking down, I wasn't sure if the walkers could see me, but I could definitely see them.  There had to be at ore than a dozen around the tree I was in.  I didn't even count the walkers that were still on road, wondering toward the hoard that surrounded me.    Breathing heavily, I balance myself on a branch letting both legs hang.  I let my head fall back onto the base of the tree, letting my heart rate slow.   Closing my eyes, ignoring all the walkers below.  He'll come looking for me any minute.  Once  the walkers disperse, I'll hear his motorcycle soon enough.