Chapter 19

"We're gettin' closer to camp" he whispered

"Alright"

I was holding the crossbow in my arms, preparing for the deer we've been tracking.  Daryl was persistent o me learning how to use it.  I was becoming more and more confident as I spent the last couple days catching squirrels and rabbits.

"Ya see there?  Hoof prints of the deer in the ground"  He pointed to the ground.

Looking closely where Daryl's finger was pointing, I could see the tracks leading me in the direction the deer was going.

We kept our pace slow, and kept our ears alert.    As we continued on, the sound of ear piercing screams rang through the woods.  Looking at one another quickly, I handed the crossbow back to him and yanked out my knife as we began running towards the screams.

The sounds of people yelling and screaming got louder.  I pounded my feet harder against the ground, getting way farther than Daryl.  I began slowing down as I neared the edge of the forest.   Walking slowly, I emerged from the trees to see a hectic scene in front of me.  Our group of people standing around a decapitated walker and dead deer.  Dammit, I think that's the deer Daryl and I had been tracking.

"Dammit.  Daryl, a damn walker got our deer!"  Calling out behind me.

"What the hell man!"  he yelled as appeared next to me, only to start kicking the dead walker.  Like a child who got his favorite taken away.

"Alright calm down ya big child.  Let's go see find Merle"  

"I was gonna cook us up some venison though!"  He argued which only had me smirking at him.

He grumbled next to me as he walked away,  while I followed behind.  I caught a glance of a man I didn't recognize, he had short light brown slightly wavy hair. And a pair of blue/green eyes.  I unintentionally scowled at him as I passed him.  I'll always be weary of new people, but at first sight he doesn't seem too bad.

Hearing Daryl yell at his brother in the distance had be jogging to catch up with him.  

"Merle! Your favorite person is back!"  Smiling as called out to him.

"Daryl, Alex we gotta talk about Merle"  Shane began speaking next to guy I didn't know.

Daryl and I both walked up to both of them, Daryl's look of uneasiness causing nerves to start racking through me.

Daryl began pacing as I stood behind him "Is he dead?" he put bluntly. 

"We're not sure" Shane replied

I felt my head snap around to Shane "What the hell do you mean you're not sure? Is he dead or not?"  I felt my anger start to bubble at Shane's lack of respect.

The strange man began speaking "There's no easy way to say this , but Merle was a danger to us all"

"Who the hell are you anyway!"  Walking right up to him.  My patience completely gone

"My name is Rick Grimes"

Daryl's booming voice came out behind "Rick Grimes, you got something you wanna tell me?!"

Rick's voice spoke quickly "I handcuffed your brother to a piece of metal on top of a building" 

Daryl's body completely tensed next me.  His body shaking in range, I could tell he was about to snap, but I was getting close too.

Speaking low, feeling all my anger coming out very slowly "You left him there? No food, no water.  You wouldn't treat an animal like that"

I could feel Daryl's eyes glued on as I finished my words.  My vision becoming red as I began curling and uncurling my right fist as I stared directly at Rick.  How dare he?  He didn't know Mere! I don't care what he did, no one deserves that!

Before a second thought could pass through my mind I felt my right arch back to swing at Rick.  

Just before feeling the satisfying crack of his nose, a pair of arms quickly yanked me back.  But I knew right away they weren't Daryl's.  Making my anger thicken.

"You better let me fuckin' go"  My stone cold voice making his arms loosen the tiniest bit.  Flashes of my father's arms holding me down  flooded my mind.  Making my body freeze.

Looking to Daryl, pleading for him to do something, anything.  His eyes debated between helping me, and kicking the man's ass who was responsible for Merle being left behind.

Kicking and thrashing in Shane's arms, Daryl was suddenly standing in front of me giving Shane a deadly glare "Let her go"  His voice barely sounding human, sent chills down my spine.

Shoving my head back roughly, I felt my skull rattle as I connected with his nose, causing him to let me go. And giving me enough time to get to Daryl's side, his arm wrapping protectively around my waist.

I watched Shane bent forward holding his nose.  Feeling an evil smirk grace my lips as I watched the blood flow from his nose.  

Turning my head to Rick, I could see a slight hint of regret in his eyes.  But still, what he did was inexcusable.

Finally glancing around, everyone was staring at us.  Feeling all the eyes on us, made me wish it was just Daryl, Merle, and I.  At least then, we didn't feel any judging eyes, and didn't have to put on an act for these people.

Looking to Daryl "I don't wanna be here.  We can look for Merle, but not with these people" My voice was just loud enough for him to hear and no one else.  His body was stiff with anger, which only made me lean into his side more.

His eyes finally met mine, and seemed to give me a silent 'yes'.

Without any words we both began walking to Merle's motorcycle.

"You guys can't go! It's not safe, going out there and getting yourselves killed isn't going to help get Merle"  It was Dale who was speaking behind us, but our pace never slowed.  Daryl's hand gripped mine as we neared the motorcycle.  "We'll find him somehow"  he whispered quietly.

"Rick can take you to him! It's the least he can do"

This time I could tell it was Lori speaking.  But I didn't want to hear any of it.  Daryl climbed on the motorcycle first, I paused and turned to everyone.  "I think Rick and whoever else was apart of this has done enough"  And with that I climbed on the bike, secured Daryl's crossbow and our catches in the back.

Daryl revved the engine of the bike, I ignored the concerned looks on everyone and the one angry look from Shane.  

We began to ride off, I kept my arms tucked into around Daryl and kept my face buried in his back.  "We sure 'bout this Lex?" I felt my heart sadden at the thought of not looking for Merle, not knowing if he was alright.

Tightening my arms around him "Yes.  We don't need them. We'll find him on our own"  Seeming to like my answer.  Daryl drove faster, leaving the group far behind us.  Merle was the only thing on our minds now.

We were going to find him, no matter what.   We would never leave him behind like those people did.  He was like a brother to me, and there was no way in hell we would be like them and leave him there.