Settling In, Part 2

Start from the beginning

Ephyra studied the screen in astonishment, "G. Gordon Godfrey."

The screen shimmers to life and brings up a circle, full size, and reveals G. Gordon speaking in his condescending and annoying tone.

"Do we really think that these so-called, 'heroes', know what they're doing? I mean, how do we know they're actually here to serve as our 'saviors'," the man says emphasizing quotation marks with his fingers. "Are we sure that they're truly here to help us from the good of their hearts and not to embolden their own images, to seem like gods and/or goddesses." He says in disgust.

"Solid use of quotation marks." She remarks, but her tone held what sounded like agreement. She missed Aqualad's surprised look at her words.

"This is a nice television." She says glancing at his now stoic expression, but caught something in his eyes, that was gone before she could interpret it. "Off," She says looking back at the television, where the images faded until the glowing water remained.

She turns to look around and walks pass a divider of thick seaweed that led to the actual bedroom. She swims over to the bed and plops down and giggles. "Wow a bed!" She laughs and sits up her hair in a tangled, yet elegant mess. "You live like this every day, Aqualad?!"

Kaldur'ahm smiles a bit, his eyes softening. "For the most part yes; this is my home. The king allows me to live here as well, after every mission."

Ephyra nods, "That sounds great." She pauses, "Doesn't it get lonely? Being a superhero I mean – I mean you have Aquaman, but still. The only ones in your peer group seem to be Robin and Kid-Annoying, and they both live on land."

Kaldur'ahm shakes his head, "True and untrue," he says. "It does get lonely knowing I'm the only protégé that lives Atlantis, where the only person I can relate to any problems concerning my other life, is my King and mentor. However, I do have people, other than my King and Queen Mera. I have two best friends who train with Queen Mera; Garth and Tula." He says, his tone softening on Tula's name. He meets her eyes, "And now I also have you."

Ephyra frowned a bit noticing it and tried to brush it off, "Oh well that's good. I don't know what I'd do if I had go in the world without Superboy, and I'm glad that I have you now too."

He dips his head and eyes her, "What is it?" He asks having noticed her frown.

"Nothing...just...thank you for welcoming me into your home, Aqualad," she said, "I think I could get used to this; especially if the food is good." She said jokingly.

Aqualad smiled just a little at her words, "Happy to do so. And please, call me Kaldur'ahm when we're off duty, or Kaldur."

"Noted," Ephyra said, "Got it filed away in my mind."

"Come along, dinner will be ready soon, and we don't want to run late." He said swimming for the door and holding it open for her.

"Great, and then I can sleep afterwards, before I have to head back to shore." She said swimming out and then following him down the halls.

"You'll do fine," he says, "Just keep in mind that all surface dwellers, are not kind." He says as they head down the hall towards the dining room.

"Uh, yeah, really – I hadn't noticed. I guess Dr. Desmond was just troubled and had a difficult time showing affection." She said dryly.

Kaldur grimaced slightly, "Yes, well it was more than just common troubles." He said.

They swam into the entrance of the dining room and Ephyra swallowed as she noticed it wasn't just the King and his wife, but two other younger Atlanteans. One looked to be a year younger than Kaldur, while the other looked about the same age.