66. Resolve

Haruka POV
(Spring High Tournament Day 2 - Fukurodani vs Eiwa High)

Current score
Fukurodani - Eiwa
Total : 1-0
2nd set : 17 - 13

The opposing side serves the volleyball and Mai dives for it. "It's up!" Mai shouts, and Chika gets herself into position ready to set the volleyball.

She carefully checks her surroundings, noticing all the blockers ready to block Minako and Kata.

The tip of her lips turn up and she unhesitatingly tosses the volleyball to me. I immediately sprint over and jump up then spike the ball down with all my power.

"Another powerful spike by Fukurodani's ace, Haruka!" The announcer says, and our side of the crowd cheers.

The opponents grunt in frustration.

Chika and I look at each other and high five.

The score changes to 18-13.

Only a few more points until we win this round!

The next player serves the ball and I receive it.

I click my tongue. They're trying to get me to not spike.

Chika follows the ball and gets ready to toss it.

"Over here!" Kata shouts with a wave.

The split moment the blockers look at her. Chika tosses the volleyball to her. "Kata!" Chika calls out, tossing the ball to her.

Kata spikes the ball down, but the other team's blocker touches it and they barely receive it. The volleyball ends up going back to our side after the first receive.

"Chance ball!" Mai shouts as she receives the ball and it goes up in the air again.

Chika goes into position ready to toss the volleyball. She looks over to Minako and sees the blockers hovering around her.

I glance over to my side and notice the blockers are eyeing me too. I look to Chika and Minako and without the need for words, we understand each other.

"Pass it here!" I shout.

I start running to the net and jump. The blockers follow me, but at the same time, Minako quickly sprints and jumps up in the air. Chika tosses the ball to Minako who easily spikes through the blockers.

The score changes to 19-13.

The match continues with each team gaining more points. Eventually the score becomes 24-19.

Our opponents spike the volleyball and Kata barely receives it. "Got it!" Kata shouts as the ball flies up in the air.

Chika gets herself into position ready to set the ball. She tosses it towards me and I spike the ball down, but they block it. The volleyball comes back to our side.

Emiko receives it and Chika gets in position again. Chika bites the bottom of her lip in thought as the ball slowly falls.

"Chika!" Airi calls out to her and Chika's eyes widen.

Chika tosses the ball, but at a different timing than how we've been normally setting in this match.

Airi grins already knowing and slowly she runs up, then jumps and spikes the ball down at the opponents who were unable to block it.

Chika and Airi turn to each other then give each other a fist bump.

I chuckle. A second tempo spike. Not an easy feat, but with all the practice that we've done, it's normal for us.