60. Kept Hidden

Haruka POV
(9 years ago - End of the summer volleyball camp)

Before I knew it, the volleyball summer training camp was coming to a close. That meant I would soon have to return to my hometown and go back to school.

I would rather stay here longer so I could go out and play volleyball instead of sitting in a classroom learning. I also didn't want to leave Akaashi.

Ever since that day, he's been more open to me. I realized that his personality is a little sadistic and he teases me whenever he gets the chance. It makes me angry at times, but at the same time I enjoy seeing him open up to me and freely smile.

"You have to go back?" Akaashi asks me after I tell him that I have to go back home after the summer volleyball camp session ends.

"I—" I stop myself when I notice his head droops down slightly and his eyes start to tear up.

After getting to know Akaashi more, I realized how emotional he is at times. He may seem like someone who doesn't express much, but that's because he closes himself off to others. He doesn't have many friends around him, so seeing me leave... It's like losing his only friend.

I clear my throat. "Don't worry. Even though the volleyball training camp ended, we will play together again." I pat him on the head. "I'll make sure of that!" I declare.

Akaashi stares at me with admiring eyes and a small smile forms on my face.

That's right. I can come back here next summer and see him again. It's not the end at all. We are under the same sky, so as long as we play volleyball together, we will see each other again.

"But you don't have to miss me yet though. I'm not leaving right away," I wink. "I begged my mom to stay until after the summer festival and she said it was okay, so Kei-kun, would you like to join me?" I offer.

"Yes," he sweetly smiles.

(Few days later ~ The night of the summer festival)

"Haruka, are you ready to go? Akaashi is here," My mom calls out to me.

"Coming!" I quickly grab my jacket and race down the door to see Akaashi there waiting for me. "Kei-kun, are you ready to go?"

"Yes," Akaashi responds.

"How long will you two be out?" My mom asks.

"Don't worry. You know where we're gonna be and we'll be home before nine," I nonchalantly answer. "Besides, I'm a big kid now."

My mom sighs. "I know Haruka, but I always worry when it comes to you."

"Hahaha, don't stress dear. Your daughter is all grown up," Grandma laughs as she comes over from the kitchen. "Besides, Akaashi is with her. He can take care of her if anything."

Akaashi nods his head. "Don't worry Ms. Akiyama, I'll watch over Haruka," he reassures her and I frown.

Isn't he younger than me? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

I push Akaashi's back. "We're leaving. Bye mom! Bye grandma!"

The two of them wave goodbye to us with a smile. "Be safe you two!"

Akaashi and I head to the summer festival. There were tons of people of all ages that came over and there were a lot of games that were open but weren't easy to win.

"Three balls please," I ask the man in charge as I hand him the money.

The man gladly takes my money and hands me three balls. I stare at the stacked bottles and then at the ball.