55. Opening Up

Keiji POV
(In the past...)

"You have to go back?" I ask after Haruka tells me that she has to go back home after the summer volleyball camp session ended.

My head droops down and my eyes start to tear up realizing that Haruka is going to leave. Haruka is the first friend that I made and an amazing volleyball player. No one else can compare to her. I wish we could go to the same school and continue to play volleyball together.

"Don't worry. Even though the volleyball training camp ended, we will play together again." Haruka pats my head. "I'll make sure of that!" she declares.

I stare at her with admiration. Haruka has so much confidence in everything she does. She's amazing!

"But you don't have to miss me just yet," Haruka grins. "I'm not leaving right away. I begged my mom to stay until after the summer festival and she said it was okay, so Kei-kun, would you like to join me?"

"Yeah," I smile.

At that moment of my life, I never would have thought that going to the summer festival was going to change everything between us.

(Back to reality...)

I roll out of my bed and glance over to the calendar. It doesn't feel like it, but my birthday is coming up soon. Not that it matters since it's just another normal day of my life.

I told my parents not to do anything grand, maybe at most just a small celebration as a family with a cake.

Haruka, on the other hand... She's unpredictable. I didn't tell her directly that my birthday was coming up, but she probably figured it out somehow, whether it was from our parents or Bokuto. Knowing him, he probably would have told her.

I get myself ready for the day and head downstairs and find Haruka's mom cleaning the house for the weekend.

"Good morning," I greet and Haruka's mom flinches. "Sorry for startling you," I apologize.

"You don't need to apologize Keiji. I thought you went out with Haruka already," Haruka's mom answers with a seemingly slight forced smile.

I purse my lips. "Do you really feel uncomfortable with Haruka and I dating?" I ask. "If you really do, please tell us."

Haruka's mom blinks in surprise and chuckles. "You really sounded like Haruka when you said that."

I slightly blush and cover my cheeks. "Really...? I didn't mean to..."

"It's not a bad thing, it's cute seeing how you two started acting like each other," Haruka's mother giggles then gently smiles. "Keiji, it's not that I feel uncomfortable. I already accepted your relationship with her. It's just that I'm trying to get used to it. Me and your father... When we decided to get married, we never thought you two would date."

I sweatdrop. "It's not a normal thing to happen," I admit.

"I know it isn't. But it's just unlikely that I would see the child that was best friends with my daughter in the past end up as my son," Haruka's mom says and I don't say a word.

"On that day... I'm so-" I try to apologize but Haruka's mother interrupts.

"Keiji, you don't need to apologize, nothing will change. Besides, you're not at fault and it was because of you Haruka did not get seriously injured," Haruka's mother tells me and my hands tighten into a fist.

"... I promise to take care of her this time and make sure nothing like that happens again," I declare.

Haruka's mother pats me on the back. "Keep that promise Keiji. I trust you with my daughter. I'm sorry that I didn't give my approval earlier."