59. Reminiscence

Haruka POV
(The next day)

After a long day of school, I eat dinner with my family then head straight to my room feeling mentally exhausted.

Everything was fine. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It was just like any other day, except... I sit down and stare at the picture of Keiji and I as kids.

Keiji and I knew each other.

I've been thinking about it the whole day. Even yesterday during the party, I tried to celebrate Keiji's birthday but I couldn't get it out of my mind.

When my mom introduced me to Keiji as my new step-brother, I didn't recognize him at all. It was like meeting a new person... Yet that wasn't the case.

Apparently, I knew Keiji long before as Kei-kun, a kid I met in a summer volleyball camp that I attended. I didn't remember him when our parents first introduced each other, but I wonder... Did he remember me when we first met?

Keiji wouldn't hide that from me, right? But why would he have that picture then...?

I fall back on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

All my memories are jumbled up after that picture triggered them, but not just the memories... The emotions that came along with them too.

(Flashback ~ Nine years ago)

With the sun shining brightly on a summer's day, I arrived at my grandma's house with my mom.

It was the summer of my upcoming third grade year. I told my mom that I wanted to go to a volleyball camp so my mom decided to sign me up for one near grandma's house. That way we can also visit her.

"Mom, it's been so long," My mom greets grandma and gives her a big hug.

"It has, you need to come visit more," Grandma hugs mom back then turns to me.

"Hi grandma," I greet and she immediately squeezes my cheeks.

"Haruka, you're so cute! You look just like your mother when she was younger," Grandma says as she cuddles me.

"T-thanks," I barely let out an answer struggling to breathe.

Grandma lets go of me and I'm finally able to breathe again. "So your mom told me that you're going to be attending the volleyball camp here. Is that true?" Grandma asks me and I nod my head. "That's great! The boy next door is also attending the volleyball camp. He's such a sweet boy. You should get to know him. He's the same age as you," Grandma grins as she pushes me over to the house next door to meet this boy.

"O-okay..." I answer slightly confused.

Before I know it, I stand in front of grandma's neighbor's house. Grandma eagerly knocks on the door. "Akaashi, it's Ms. Akiyama. I want to introduce you to my granddaughter. She's going to the summer volleyball camp with you."

There was no response for a long time, but eventually, the door opens. In front of me was a messy black haired boy with blue-green eyes.

I stare at him. He seems like a quiet, monotonous boy.

I look over to grandma and she gives me a nudge. "You should go introduce yourself."

"Hi... My name is Haruka Akiyama. What's your name?" I ask.

"..." The boy remains silent.

I stare at him puzzled. "What's your name?" I repeat.

Is he not going to answer???

"Haruka, don't push Akaashi too much. He's a shy boy," Grandma scolds me and a sweatdrop falls behind the back of my head.

 He's a shy boy," Grandma scolds me and a sweatdrop falls behind the back of my head