Dear Jace: Return

Dear Jace,

This morning, a dark green Army truck drove into the driveway and I thought I already knew why. Later on, I discovered that I was wrong. Out stepped a highly decorated Army service man in full uniform, and he was not you, which meant only one thing. Either you're not coming home, or something else happened. I pinched myself, trying to wake up, thinking it was all a dream, and it wasn't. He very solemnly said that you're due to come home, under certain circumstances, medical discharge. He mentioned the past events I saw in the news...and how you were there...and took a bullet in order to save one of your comrades in the line of fire. I asked if you were alright several times, but I got was 'It's too soon to tell. We don't know for sure; he hasn't regained consciousness yet.' And when he told me that, I just stood there and cried as the service man removed his hat, bowing his head. And I can only hope, that you're actually okay. I need to see you in order to believe it. So now I guess we won't be having our wedding anytime soon...but that's okay. Because all that matters is that you're alive, which is all I've been hoping for. So now I guess it's official, you really are coming back to me. I've been waiting for so long for you to come home, but not like this, not at all like this.

You sure know how to scare the crap out of me,

Clarise