Dear Jace: Family Matters

Dear Jace,

I just received your letter in the mail yesterday morning, and when it was in my hands, you should've seen me. I clutched it to my chest as if I won a million dollars and danced around like a little kid when they get money. But I was oh so happy, the happiest I've been in ages. That one letter made my day.

I've been waiting so long for you to write, my impatience was getting the best of me. And I know you said don't reply, which is why I'm writing it here, in my journal where it will stay, instead of sending it. And don't you even have the thought that I'll forget you because that day will never come, I promise. And I mean it. You are the world to me and I will always love you for eternity and until that day I die. Now I may not know much about the Army and all that, but I do know that I want you to never lose your guard and I know I keep on saying this, but stay strong. Courage, bravery, strength are the three elements to success. I know that it's hard and requires lots of self sacrifice, but it is all worth it on the end because serving is the greatest gift you could ever give to America.

Your mom called me a few times, wondering if I'd heard from you, and how you're doing. I felt bad, telling her no all the time, that I haven't heard anything, other than what I've seen on the news about the war. But when she just happened to call me today, and She was thrilled when I gave her the best news that she wanted to hear. So I ensured her that you, her only son is okay, that everything is going as according to plan. I know that sometimes you guys aren't on the best of terms, ever since the divorce last year, but she dearly loves you. And your father as well. He is such a good, kind-hearted man, and only left your mom because the truth is that some marriages aren't to be. Your mom just found the wrong Prince Charming, but that is okay because now she has a second chance to discover what true love really is. I think of it as one of those classic love stories, how the maiden wanders around, searching and searching for her long lost love, until one day, she stumbles upon him and then they both live happily ever after.

And one last thing, you aren't just any idiot, you're my idiot.
                                                             Remember that family does matter,  Clarise

Authors Note:
Yes, bonus chapter! So I hope you're enjoying my book so far, please feel free to comment if you would like, I would love to hear your feedback, if that's too much to ask! 😊
-Rin