"I don't know," Akaashi says worryingly. "Besides, we should get back before your mom scolds us."

"She won't, because you're with me," I grin and move the bush to the side. "See? Best view right here."

The two of us move through the bushes and see the beautiful night sky with the stars shining down at us.

"So pretty! This is way better than in the morning when we practice volleyball together," I exclaim.

"You're right," Akaashi nods his head.

The two of us look up at the sky and a small smile forms on his face.

"I'm glad we were able to meet each other," Akaashi confesses. "When I'm around you, I can be myself. I'm jealous how you're able to express yourself freely without thinking about what others think. You're like the stars up in the sky."

"Really?" I giggle. "But that's not true, I'm not that good expressing myself all the time. There are times when I struggle too," I smile. "If I'm a star then you're the night sky, because I can shine bright because you're by my side," I happily grin.

Akaashi's eyes widen. "... Haruka, I—"

The night sky lights up as the fireworks shoot up in the sky. My attention turns to the fireworks.

 My attention turns to the fireworks

I lean over the fence. "Wow! Kei-kun, look! The fireworks are so pretty!" I point to them in awe. "Come over—"

Crack!

Akaashi's eyes widen. "Haruka! Get—!"

Before I can react, I feel my body fall. My eyes widen as someone wraps their arms around me. I look over and see Akaashi's face next time mine. "Kei—"

Before I know it, we both hit the ground.

My head's aching from the hit of the fall. I look over to Akaashi who's barely conscious. My eyes start to dilate seeing the blood on Akaashi's back.

"K-Kei-kun.... W-why did you...?" I say, dumbstruck by what just happened.

Did Akaashi injure himself protecting me? Why...? Why did he...?

"Because... I want... Want to protect you," Akaashi mumbles and loses consciousness.

Tears stream down my face. "DON'T DIE ON ME KEI-KUN! I PROMISE I'LL SAVE YOU!"

I immediately take off my jacket and wrap it around Akaashi hoping it would stop the bleeding. Even though my head and body is aching, I muster all the energy I had left to carry Akaashi on my back to my house.

Heavily breathing and my legs wanting to give in, I force myself to continue walking. Time felt like forever and I almost felt like there was no chance for me to make it back, but I kept on going.

I eventually make it back home and knock on my house door. "Mom!" I shout in a raspy voice. Please open the door!

"Haruka, why are you so l—? Oh my goodness!" My mom's face immediately pales when she sees me and she calls an ambulance.

Everything became a blur. I don't even remember what happened. All I could hear were the sirens as they came over to get Akaashi to the hospital. Before I knew it, I was in the hospital with my mom as I see Akaashi in the emergency room.

My lips quiver as I stared at Akaashi who was once playing with me is now in critical condition. What have I done?

"... It's my fault, I—" My face begins to contort with fear of what was going to happen to him. "I did this to him! It should've been me! W-why?!"

"DON'T SAY THAT!" My mom shouts. "It's not your—" She stops and immediately wraps her arms around me when she sees me bursting out crying.

"Gghh... Wahhhhh! Why did he have to protect me?!" I cry as I clutch onto my mom. "WHY?! I DIDN'T WANT THIS TO HAPPEN! WHY?!"

The police comes over and questioned what happened. I told them everything that had happened. Every word I told them they took in. They told me that it wasn't my fault, but I couldn't accept the fact that I'm the one who caused this.

I go back to Akaashi's room and stare at all the commotion.

What have I done...?

A woman comes and when she sees me she walks faster. "Are you the friend that my son was with today?"

"Yes..." I answer and the woman slaps me.

My eyes dilate in shock. What just—?

"Mrs. Akaashi, what are you doing?!" My grandma shouts.

"Your grandchild sent my child to the emergency room, how can I not be angry?!" she shouts and I flinch.

"I'm sorry..." I whimper.

"Huh?! What does it matter now?! You apologize now but then what?! What if he goes into a coma?! What if he's paralyzed?! Did you ever think of what could happen to him or are you apologizing just to make yourself feel better?! Can't you accept the fact that you were with my son and just let him risk his life?!" she shouts.

Tears start to stream down my face. She's completely right. "I'm sorry," I apologize not knowing what else I can say. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sor—" I profusely apologize and before I know it, I lose consciousness.

(Back to the present)

So after seeing Keiji in critical condition... That's what happened. I remember being in the hospital once as a child, but I didn't know why. Apparently, my mom said it was due to high stress and trauma being hit hard on the head by a volleyball... But that was a lie to keep this all hidden.

I probably had high stress and trauma from that accident... Just like those dramas, my memories were repressed and I forgot everything that happened between us.

...

I went back to my hometown like nothing ever happened, but what about him?

What happened to Akaashi in between that time then and now? He's completely fine now and I'm truly thankful for that.

Yet...

It's ironic how we happened to meet each other again as step-siblings. I wonder if that's why they were against it when I told mom and dad that we were dating...

Wait a minute... Did mom know...? Did everyone know but me?

I grit my teeth. Has everyone been hiding the truth from me?