Chapter 33: Scarred

Start from the beginning

"Promise." Cheska gave him a reassuring smile. "I'll wait in my room."

Louis freed her. She stepped out of his reach, turned her back to them and started to leave. Fred excused himself and caught up with her at the door's opening. She directed a questioning glance his way.

"Just a brief physical check-up. You were in shock earlier", Fred added as an afterthought.

Wordlessly, she entered the hidden passage. Fred took this as a cue and followed her inside. The wall panel slid in place. Darkness engulfed them briefly until lamps embedded on the stone walls came to life. The lighting was dim but enough to be able to tell that they were in a dim narrow hallway.

The space too small, the sinister walls bore down on him. He had overcome it, yet... Fred staggered and had to lean on the wall for support. I should've known. He had not been mentally prepared and the unexpectedly cramped surroundings triggered his fear. Shakily, he swallowed and tamped down his fear. Fred focused on breathing, Cheska's back, and placing a foot forward then another.

A minute or an hour didn't make much of a difference. Time passed with horrifying slowness for someone stuck in a narrow corridor. Fred regretted for not having invested on a wristwatch. He relied too much on his smartphone. Still, it was probably for the best he couldn't track the time. It would be torture to be aware of how long it had been since they left Mr. Roucan's study. When was it that he was last stranded in an enclosed space pretty much like this one?

A long while, a voice in his head answered. Echoes of laughter, a boy's pleas, and darkness from a distant past came at him. Fred shut his eyes, gritting his teeth. No! That was long ago. He shook his head as if to clear his mind. Worse, still, was if he started picturing morbid scenarios. For example, an earthquake could...

Something soft and warm clasped his hand. A voice, different from the ones in his head, spoke. It was too far – too faint. He couldn't understand what it was telling him. Fred concentrated on the sound. Finally, he recognised the speaker. Cheska was calling his name. She was worried.

"Gi—" His voice was hoarse. Fred cleared his throat. "Just give me a second." He squeezed her hand to assure her.

"Okay." Her thumb rubbed circles on the back of his hand. He gratefully let himself be distracted by the sensation. When his breathing slowed and his heart didn't feel like it would burst, Fred opened his eyes and found himself drowning in two golden pools. Dark thoughts vanished.

Electra. He had thought he'd lost her, yet here she was.

"Fred", she said.

Her voice made him drop his gaze to her lips. It formed words Fred couldn't comprehend. His mouth went dry. It was close...so close.

A spark erupted in their clasped hands, jolting him. Cheska gasped, but held on preventing him from putting distance between them.

"I'm sorry." Fred searched her face. Did it hurt her? No, she wasn't in pain. Her cheeks were flushed. Cheska was embarrassed.

"No, It's fine," she spoke a little sharply. "It took me by surprise. I'm not hurt", Cheska added in a softer note. "Will you tell me what's wrong?"

Fred stared at her in confusion. She should know. Electra knew, unless... He rubbed the back of his neck, noting that his hands were shaking. Discussing his condition to others had become a rare occurrence once he had somewhat overcome it. The passage here was just especially cramped.

"I was claustrophobic", Fred replied. "I mean, I still am slightly."

"Not to worry. We're halfway there." Her eyes widened at his pained expression. "I shouldn't have said that." She bit her lip. "How can I help?"