Chapter XXII, Amelia

I stare into the out of breath face of the person I've been trying so hard to forget.

"Daw-" I start to say but he holds up his hand for me to stop.

"Amelia, as long as you exist in this world there will be no other for me. I don't care what you are, I love you. I was an idiot, if you can ever forgive me will you do so?" I glance back inside my house and then step out onto the porch and face Dawson.

"Amelia, I swear to you if you give me another chance; I will never let you go. Being away from you these last few weeks was killing me. I should have trusted you right away and known that you had your sister to protect and I swear before God that I love you." When he finishes I feel tears sliding down my face.

"Dawson Martin, I love you more than anything. I thought I could forget you but I can't, you tore my heart into tiny pieces when you left. But I forgive you." I tell him. 

Tears are sliding down Dawson's face. He reaches out for me and I let him take me in his arms. Once again I feel that sense of safety that I haven't felt since Dawson last held me weeks ago.  

I look at him and my clear meet his brown ones. He leans down and kisses me. My hands are pressed against his chest, his arms are wrapped around me. I can smell his shampoo, the sent of fruit wafting off his hair. When we pull back I spot Ashlynn's face in the window watching us.

Dawson notices and laughs, "I feel like I'm in a zoo," He says, "And she's the one inside." We laugh. Ashlynn suddenly knocks on the window and points above our heads. Hanging above us is a cluster of mistletoe. I glance at Dawson, are back to the stage where we can kiss whenever we want? He has the same question in his eyes.

I smile and stretch up on my tiptoes to reach his lips. Dawson leans down and meets my lip with his.

"YES!" The shout makes us jump a part and look around for whoever shouted. Hurrying through the snow towards us is Kriss and Alex. Alex carries a case with him. 

Kriss is grinning, "I knew this would happen." She says. "Merry Christmas." I tell her. I then grab her by the arm and pull her under the mistletoe.

"Alex, look whose under the mistletoe!" I say in a sing-song voice. Alex swoops down and gives Kriss a big kiss on the cheek. Dawson puts his arm around me and I lean into him.

"Oh Amelia!" Kriss says. "We have something for you!" I turn to them and grin, "I have stuff for all of you as well." I gesture to the house, "Come in." They all follow me inside and we go up to my room.

We exchange gifts, in the case is a violin, "It's not a tenor sax but-" I cut Kriss off by hugging her, I hug Alex and Dawson as well.

"It's perfect, there isn't anything that could have been more perfect." I tell them. I pick up the violin and it seems without much thought I start to play. The sound coming from it is so beautiful. 

Dawson stares at me with his mouth hanging open, I stop and smile sadly. "Dawson, element children are naturally good at somethings. Our element tends to help us do thing and the gift of air, well it makes playing instruments easier."

"Oh." Is all Dawson says but he doesn't look upset or scared, he looks okay with it.

We chat for a while and then Kriss and Alex get up to leave, "We'll see you later but our families are getting together for dinner so we had better go." Alex says. Kriss hugs Dawson and I, "Merry Christmas." She says. We say it back, they wave and head off.

"Have I told you how beautiful you look?" Dawson asks, I shake my head. Dawson smiles, "Amelia, you look simply gorgeous." I feel my face heat up. Dawson and I stand on the front porch, his arm wrapped around me. 

"Amelia, I got you something else." Dawson looks super self conscious, he hands me a small box and my stomach tightens. This means I'll have to give him what I got him and have been carrying around in my damn pocket since we broke up. Sort of.

Inside the box is a beautiful locket, symbols of the four elements are engraved around the edge. I love the silver colour, I pop the locket open and stare at the pictures inside. On one side there is a picture of us on our first date and on the other there is a picture of us at the Halloween dance.

I feel tears forming in my eyes again, "Dawson." I whisper, I can't even find the words to describe what I'm feeling. But Dawson knows, I can see it in his eyes. He knows.

I pull the key chain I got made specially for him months ago from my boot and hand it to him. "I couldn't bring myself to give up on you." I say and hand it to him.

The key chain has a small framed picture of us outside my house standing under a tree, I didn't want to put anything on it that would be embarrassing so I didn't add anything else.

"You don't have use it or keep it, I just thought it was kind of cool..." My voice trails off, Dawson smiles and hugs me tightly. "Amelia, it's perfect." He smiles at me then adds, "Like you." I stare at him then laugh.

"Me? Perfect?" I ask. Dawson nods, "You are perfect, you think of others before your self-" I cut him off, "I do not, I always think of how to stay hidden and keep myself safe." Dawson shakes his head.

"Why didn't you tell me you are an element child?" I sigh, "Because it might have put you in danger." I look up at him and see him smiling. Crap. 

I decide to let the matter drop. Dawson shivers, "How are you not cold?" He asks. I'm not wearing a coat, while Dawson is wearing his coat, hat and mittens. I shrug, "Gift of fire, it keeps me from getting cold." Dawson shakes his head. 

"That would be handy to have!" I laugh, "It is, but I can do this." I hold my hand out palm up and cause a ball of fire to fill my hand.

Dawson looks a little concerned, "Don't worry," I say, "I'm fire proof, it can't hurt me." Dawson relaxes and pulls me closer to him. We stare out at the field. I wish we could stay this way forever.

Dawson leans down and kisses me lightly on the lips. 

"I love you Amelia Katarina Tessera."