Chapter 11 Remnants

Start from the beginning

          “You just needed my permission? Are you serious? Is this some kind of ridiculous joke or am I to feel honored that you took the time to ask me for this?” His voice was booming now.

          “It’s the only way. I need something that is yours.” Isabel said sternly.

         “Then why not my shirt or some of my hair or better yet, why not my god forsaken shoes? I hate them anyways so you might as well have them!” He yelled angrily, tossing the shoes in her direction as he effortlessly discarded them.

         “It has to be something with more meaning, something that cannot be weakened so easily. My charm, although powerful, has ways of being overcome.” She ignored the shoes he had tossed in her direction. Standing up, Isabel faced Exsavior with fierce eyes. “If you let me, I can create a powerful charm that not even Ezekias would break through it.” Isabel was determined and Exsavior could see it clearly in her eyes.

          His stare shifted back and forth from her to the plant. It pained him, destroyed his soul, and he wanted to shout and roar in anger because of the fate his life had taken.

          ‘Why must everything be like this?’ The forest mocked him as his eyes found the sky, making the trees appear as if they would incarcerate him once more.

          “Exsavior…?” Isabel tried, as she watched his tense form.

          He looked back at the plant and remembered her—his sister.

          ‘Alexandria, what can I do? I wish not to forsake your grave, but I need it. I feel so lost, tell me! What can I do?’ He felt his eyes begin to burn. There was no way he would allow himself to cry.

        In rendition, Exsavior bowed his head, and decided that there was nothing he could do. “Alright, take the sprout.” Isabel nodded but paused before attempting to do anything.

       “But please, just be delicate with it…” He knew the plea was vague, but what else could he have asked her?

         Isabel’s eyes softened and did as she was told. “I will. Now please show me your true form.”

         “Why?” He asked her.

         “I will create the talisman right here and now. For that I need you to be in your true form.” She stated.

         Exsavior nodded. It was rather easy for him to morph into the giant wolf since he was already in an emotional turmoil. In one smooth twitch, his body shifted as his clothes were ripped to shreds. The transition alleviated his hurt but it was not enough to make it disappear.

       In an instant, the young man that stood before Isabel was now a towering raven-blue wolf. Isabel watched the wolf, her blue eyes staring into its golden depths with caution. No matter what she thought, Isabel could not deny the fact that Exsavior was an amazing being, a beautiful beast ripped from legends themselves.

          “What are you waiting for?” His voice broke into her mind, shattering her trance.

          Isabel said nothing as she approached the wolf. Standing inches away from it, she lifted the sprout with both her hands, as if offering it to some god high up in the sky. She had made sure to dig it up with all its roots and dirt, since most of the essence she would need came from the soil.

          “Mother of Earth, Mother of all,

          May this child’s birth allow us to never fall.