seventeen

Elisabeth's POV

When my eyes fluttered open, I was met with a white ceiling and a beeping noise. I was obviously in a hospital room. It was dimly lit by the small lamp in the corner. I reached over to the remote next to me and push the button until the bed moved me to a sitting position. My whole body was aching.

"You're awake."

I gasped and looked over to find Nick sat in the chair next to my bed. He had a tired look on his face and a soft smile and I placed my hand over my chest.

"Hey. I didn't see you." I said, my voice hoarse from sleep and he nodded.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "How is everyone?" I asked and he looked down at his lap.

"I'm not sure. I've been staying in a hotel in Manchester so I could refrain myself from beating the living shit out of your abusive boyfriend." he spat, and I heaved a sigh. He leaned forward, wrapping his hand with mine and squeezing.

"Thank you, Nick. For not beating him up and for being here for me." I say.

He nods slowly and stares deeply into my eyes. "I know they haven't left for Washington though. I drove past their flat and the cars were still there."

I nodded and winced at the pain in my ribs and Nick's hand tightened on mine as he spoke again.

"It's so hard though. I just want to destroy him. Make him pay. I can't believe I was ever his mate."

I bit the inside of my cheek. After thinking about everything, after Harry had put me in the hospital, even after he didn't come see me, I still loved him. I can't help it. I've already fallen in too deep.

I knew Nick had read my mind because he growled under his breath. "You still love him?!" he exclaimed and I flinched at the sudden raise of voice.

Nick's eyes turned yellow quickly after a few seconds, he must've been thinking of how screwed up everything is.

"I can't believe you Liz! He's abusive! He put you in the hospital for fuck's sake! Yet you still love him?! How can you be so naive?!"

I felt a tear roll down my cheek at his harsh tone. Nick had stood up in the midst of his yelling, but he stopped mid sentence when he saw me crying. His face immediately softened, and his eyes returned back to normal.

He sat down and scooted to the edge of the bed, wrapping both of his hands around mine and closed his eyes, kissing my knuckles and breathing harshly through his nose as he slowly calmed down.

"I'm sorry Lizzy. I'm so sorry this happened," he spoke, keeping his eyes closed tightly, "I'm just so protective over you sometimes. You're my best friend and I love you more than you could ever know. I just can't even handle the thought of him doing this to you. The only reason I haven't beat him to death is because of you. I don't want to lose you, I don't think I can handle that. Even if you choose him over me."

I took my hand from his and he opened his sad eyes. I wrapped and arm around his neck and embraced him tightly. As I felt the front of my shirt soak, I threaded my fingers through his hair.

"I know Nicky, I know. I'm sorry too. I'm trying to get my thoughts straight. Even though I might think I love him, I don't know anymore. Everything is getting so overwhelming and I'm so, so thankful you haven't done anything to Harry, even if he deserves it."

Nick let out a breathy 'okay' and pulled away, his eyes puffy and we heard a light knock on the door.

We both looked up and suddenly Louis was walking in, without anyone else but all I could think was oh no

He smiled at me, but as soon as his blue eyes fell on Nick, his whole face turned into an expression that had me scared, he looked so pissed.

"You." he hissed, and surged forward, dropping the bag in his hand and grabbed Nick by his collar, throwing him against the wall and holding him up by his neck. I briefly wondered when Louis got so strong, or if he always had been and I just hadn't noticed. I started to panic as Nick choked through Louis' hold on him.

"Louis! Stop!" I cried, but Louis didn't seem to hear me as he leaned forward. Nick's face was quickly turning red and he was choking desperately. I wanted to stand and help him, but the IV in my arm would not agree.

"You. This is your fault. You are so fucking stupid. I should shred you to pieces." Louis hissed in an tone I hadn't ever heard and everything was happening too fast.

"Louis let him go! Please you're hurting him!" I shouted, and Louis glanced over to me. I hadn't realized I was crying again until his face dropped and his blue eyes grew soft and he dropped Nick, who fell to the ground and inhaled a large breath.

Louis kept clenching and unclenching his fists while Nick scrambled up, and rushed out of the room, ignoring my calls.

"Why did you do that?!" I exclaimed and Louis dropped heavily onto the chair next to my bed, his head in his hand, and his elbows on the side of the bed. He let out a shaky sigh and I realized he looked like a complete mess.

"Everything is messed up," he mumbled, "Harry's a mess, the boys are a mess, you're a mess, and I'm here trying to keep everything together."

I willed my heart to calm down from the events before and placed my hand over his. He removed his hands from his face and looked at me. He looked so exhausted.

"Louis, I'm sorry for everything that has happened. I'm going to try to forgive Harry, which is hard, and I'm trying to keep Nick in my life because even though he is the cause of all of this, he is my best friend, has been for a very long time. I can't just hate him, believe me I've tried, but I promise once everything is over me and you are going to go do something fun together, cause you deserve something nice. Thank you for everything."

Louis softly smiled at me and leaned forward to hug me.

"Harry's been so hard on himself since it happened. He says he might as well give up on you. But he told me something. He said that he hadn't meant to hit you. He said he was going to lift up your shirt and see if Nick had hurt you while you two were having sex. But his anger got the best of him and-you know the rest."

I sighed and rubbed at my eyes.

"When the hell did I commit to falling in love with a vampire." I groaned, and Louis huffed out a small laugh.

"How have you been?" he asked and I played with my fingers.

"Good. My stomach and ribs still hurt, but it should go away by next week. And I get out tomorrow. I'm kind of scared because either I go to you guys' flat, which I'm not sure if I'm allowed, or I go to Nick's hotel in Manch-" I stopped short, remembering Nick didn't want them to know where he was and I groaned, my head falling into my hands.

"Fuck everything." I mumbled.

Louis sighed and pulled my hands off of my face with a small chuckle. "It's your choice Elisabeth. You are always welcome back at the flat. We have postponed Washington until week after next, so you should have enough time to, y'know, whatever with Harry. Unless you choose to stay with Nick until we get back."

"When are you getting back?" I asked.

Louis bit his lip.

"In two months."