XV

F e n t y, R o b y n

"Maaaa!" A'laya had crawled into the room.

"How did you get out of your crib Pooh?"  I asked sitting up.

A'laya sat on the floor a few feet from the bed and smiled at me.

I stood up, stretched and walked over to her. I gave her a kiss before walking into the bathroom. I kept the door open as I took care of business.

A'laya pulled all the tissue off the roll as I brushed my teeth and washed my face.

"Meeee." A'laya put her hands up and made grabbing motions with her hands.

I laughed and picked her up. I handed her a tiny toothbrush and wet it with water. I handed it to her and watched as she grinned and tapped the end of the toothbrush against her back gums.

After a few minutes of her playing with the toothbrush, I picked up the tissue, threw it away, and walked downstairs.

I sat her in her walker and started cleaning up the house.

My phone rang and I answered it. "Hi mama." I smiled at Nami's sweet voice.

"Hi baby girl. What's up?" I asked, putting my phone on speaker and placing it in my bra.

"Mommy's here right now and I asked her a question and she says I have to ask you." Nami explained.

I chuckled. "Alright, what is it?"

"Weeelll. Franklin's parents are working late and I was wondering if he could come over to our house for like a few couple of hours... You know so he's not alls alone..." I could picture a cute pout on her lips.

"Let me talk your mother." I responded.

She huffed. "Mama wanna talk to you." I heard shuffling before Jhene spoke.

"Hey baby." She greeted.

"Hi my love." I replied. "So, who's this Franklin kid?"

"A kid in her class honey. I don't see what the problem is." Jhene said softly.

"Have you met the kid parents?" I asked.

"Well no? But Franklin gave me his Mother's number... I called her and she said it would mean a lot to her if we watch him. Her husband works late most nights and she needed the overtime pay. Come on baby." Now Jhene was using her sad voice.

"Alright alright. Calm down." I sighed in defeat. "The kid can come over."

I could hear Nami cheering in the background. I laughed. The conversation ended shortly after that. I finished cleaning.

I plopped down on the couch and A'laya crawled over. "Maaaaaa!"

"Hey pretty girl." I picked her up and kissed her cheeks.

She leaned up and gave me a wet kiss on my cheek.

I laughed.

This little girl is my life.

-

"Mama, this is my boyfriend Franklin. Franklin, this is my other Mom Mama."  Nami introduced us.

I scrunched up my face. "Boyfriend..." I shook my head. "Nope. Nope. Nope. Ain't no boyfriend." I crossed my arms.