~ Chapter 2 ~

*2 WEEKS LATER*

I wake to the sound of birds chirping outside my window. I turn to face my bedside clock.

8:38 AM

"Shit! Mum!" I scream as I jump out of bed.

I race into my bathroom and get ready as fast as I can..

"Mum, you could've told me that it was 8:40! My bus comes at 8:50!" I say, running down the stairs.

"Sorry, darling. I didn't realise what the time was," Mum looks at me with bags under her eyes.

"Mum, you look like you haven't slept in days," I frown. "What did you do last night?"

"Oh, you know, the usual," she says, forcing a smile.

I frown, knowing that was code for "I really miss your father and I didn't sleep at all last night".

"He will be home soon, I promise."

"I know, have a fun day at school. I love you," she pecks me on the cheek.

"I will, love you too," I say as I blow her a kiss and run out the door.

As soon as I shut the door the bus zooms past.

Dammit! Oh well, you'll just have to walk to school.

It isn't that long before I end up taking a wrong turn and getting lost.

You should have waited for another bus that went the same route, you idiot.

"Fancy seeing you here," someone chuckles from behind me.

I spin around, startled. Cameron, wide-eyed and waiting for an answer, stands there. His hair is still wet from the shower he must have taken this morning, and his abs can be slightly seen through his white t-shirt.

He waves a hand in my face, bringing me out of my daze.

"Sorry," I shake my head. "What did you say?"

"I didn't say anything?" he laughs.

"Oh," I blush.

"Walk with me?" he asks, still lightly laughing.

"Sure," I smile.

~*~*~*~

After what seems like more talking and laughing than actual walking, we are finally at school.

"Oh, did you end up finishing your English essay in class yesterday?" He asks as we enter the school gates.

"Yeah, did you?" I laugh

"Definitely," he says, sarcastically.

"Liar," I roll my eyes and start to walk away.

Before I can, he grabs me by the arm and kisses my cheek.

"I guess I'll, um, see you in class?" he blushes.

"Um, sure," I say as I feel my cheeks getting hotter by the second.

"See ya, Rachy," he smiles and walks off towards his friends before I can reply.

Rachy?

I smile and giggle to myself and decide to walk to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. As I enter the cafeteria, I can't help but look towards Cameron. My stomach drops at the sight and I instantly regret my actions. Cameron and Veronica are kissing and laughing.

He's not single, stop what you're doing before it gets out of hand and you get hurt.

I sigh and get my breakfast. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Nathan sitting alone. I walk over and sit across from him.

"Hey Hun," he smiles.

"Hi," I grumble.

"What's up?" he questions, sounding worried.

"Cameron," is all I can manage to say.

"Thought so,"

"How?"

"I saw," he says chewing a mouthful of cereal.

"Oh," I sigh.

"Please don't fall for him. I don't want to see you get hurt," he frowns.

I try to force a smile and dig into my breakfast.

~*~*~*~

In class I don't even bother to look at him or help him, remembering what Nathan said. I can tell he is looking at me but I resist. I know what he is doing and I'm not going to get myself into it.

~*~*~*~

The school bell rings, signally home time. I decide to walk home, since I now know the way.

Just ignore him if he comes up to you. Just ignore him, Rachel.

When I get out of the school gate I feel a tap on my shoulder, I ignore it. Again I feel a tap on my shoulder and I pretend like nothing happened.

Just ignore him, you can do it.

Another tap.

That's it!

I spin around and stand my ground.

"Hey, um, about today-" he begins.

"How dare you. Who are you to think that you can 'use' me?" I snarl, cutting him off.

Everyone around us are staring, but I don't care, I need to stand up for myself.

"Use you?" he laughs. "You've got to be kidding."

Wait, what?

"I would never use you? I couldn't ever do that," he frowns. "Maybe if you just waited a few more minutes and decided against causing a scene, you wouldn't be single anymore."

I stand there, gobsmacked.

"But, Veron-"

"She doesn't matter anymore," he sighs.

"Oh," I blink. "Can we maybe do this somewhere else?"

He looks around and laughs.

"Sure."

"My place?" we both say in unison.

"Come to mine," smiles Cameron.