The sun that shone onto it made tiny rays of colour appear around the edges. Calum smiled, in such a world that so many bad things are happening, it sure can have some beautiful things. The boy wiped away some of the snow that was on the bench seat, and sat down pulling his bobble hat down further onto his head. 

He looked around and took in the scenery, the leafless trees that had frost along their branches, the dead leaves whirling about in a mini hurricane as the wind took them away. Calum sighed in content watching a mother and two kids admiring a robin perched on a branch. 

Calum wished he was young again, well he is young but he wishes he was about six years old again. He wanted someone he could rely on again, not having to worry if he had enough to pay his monthly rent. He wished he didn't have to work tonight, or the next day, or the next. He wanted to depend on someone, Calum just wanted to have someone to care for him.

"Maybe I need a boyfriend." Calum mumbled to himself watching the beautiful snow slowly melt into water. 

The boy watched the sun rise before getting up off the bench and wiping his butt, getting rid of any snow that stuck on his jacket. He stuck his hands in his pockets wishing he had brought gloves with him. His hands were going numb with the cold and his butt was numb from sitting on the bench for so long.

He smiled at the mother and children receiving a smile back as he passed. Calum wished there were more people like this woman, the simple gesture he received back from her warmed his heart. 

As he entered his neighbourhood everyone was in their little social groups, gossiping about the murder probably. Calum internally scoffed and that people who had nothing better to do with their lives but talk about others. 

Calum went to enter his apartment block building, only to be stopped by a tall bulky police man at the entrance. 

"Sorry son, you can't enter the building right now." He told Calum eyeing him up and down. Not in a sexual manner, he just thought the boy looked a little young to be living on his own, especially in a place like this.

"Why not?" Calum asked sighing. He just wanted to go inside, make himself some hot chocolate, and bundle himself up in his cosy pyjamas. 

"They're searching the lad's apartment, to see if there's any clues to who murder him." The policeman informed Calum. The boy deserved to know if he lived in the apartment building.

"I don't live on his floor, can I go up to my apartment? Please?" He asked rubbing his hands together to try and make them warm. 

The policeman hesitated before giving the Calum an answer. 

"Right okay, but I must escort you just to make sure you're telling the truth." He flashed a smile before following Calum up to his apartment. As they reached his floor, Calum thanked the guy before bring out his keys and unlocking his door.

After he bid the policeman goodbye, he shut his door and slumped his shoulders. Sometimes he wished he never lived in this place, too much drama. But it was the only place Michael and him could afford and go to college. 

He shrugged off his coat hanging it up and kicked off his vans, picking them up after and putting them on the shoe rack. Calum decided that he turned the heating on as he was freezing his butt off right now.

As he turned the heating on, waiting for it to work, a knock sounded at his door making his eyebrows furrow. He was expecting any visitors, unless it was Michael forgetting his key. But he was sure Michael would've hollered through he letterbox if it was him, so Calum was confused. 

The boy opened the door gingerly peeking his head around it but exhaling sharply when he saw it was the policeman from downstairs.

"How may I help you?" He asked politely only having the door open so it showed half his body.