Chapter 44

*Legolas POV*

As we rode into the mountain, I felt happy. We were going to get help and that meant Amara wouldn't be in danger.

"What kind of army would linger in such a place?" Gimli asked.

"One that is cursed. Long ago, the Men of the Mountains swore an oath to the last king of Gondor, to come to his aid, to fight. But when the time came, when Gondor's need was dire, they fled vanishing into the darkness of the mountain. And so Isildur cursed them never to rest until they had fulfilled their pledge. Who shall call them from the grey twilight? The forgotten people. The heir of him to whom the oath they swore. For the North shall he come. Need shall drive him. He shall pass the door to the Paths of the Dead." I told Gimli.

---

We got off our horses and began to walk.

"The very warmth of my blood seems stolen away." Gimli said.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead. And the dead keep it. The way is shut." I read.

Suddenly something echoed and a gust of wind flew out of the cave and into us. The horses jumped and ran away with fear.

"Brego!" Aragorn yelled to the horse, but he kept running.

"I do not fear death." Aragorn said and walked into the cave. I quickly followed him.

I soon heard Gimli behind us and smiled.

Good thing he came in otherwise I would never stop teasing him about it.

We kept walking deeper and deeper into the cave.

"What is it? What do you see?" Gimli asked.

"I see shapes of men. And of horses." I whispered.

"Where?" Gimli asked.

"Pale banners like shreds of cloud. Spears rise like winter-thickets through a shroud of mist. The Dead are following. They have been summoned." I said and began to walk faster.

"The Dead? Summoned? I knew that." Gimli said and chuckled nervously.

I have to do this for Amara. She would do this for me. I know she would. I quickly walked out of the mist, something is trying to grab me, but I kept pulling myself away. I quickly grabbed my bow and held on tight to it.

Aragorn stepped on something and it cracked. I looked down and saw many skulls. Bones. They are laying everywhere.

"Do not look down." Aragorn said.

We ran deeper into the cave, coming to a big room.

"Who enters my domain?" Someone asked.

I looked ahead and saw the figure of a man, but he is green wisps of smoke.

"One who will have your allegiance." Aragorn said.

"The dead do not suffer the living to pass." The ghost said.

"You will suffer me." Aragorn said.

The ghost laughed and soon we were surrounded but green wisps of people.

"The way is shut. It was made by those who are dead. And the dead keep it." The ghost said

I looked around. There are so many.

"The way is shut, now you must die." The ghost said.

I quickly pulled out an arrow and shot at him, but it went right through him.