Chapter 17

I stared at Legolas. It had been seventy-five years and he still loved me. I still love him too. I just dont want to hurt him, again. I know I won't, but this is a quest that could kill me, or him, or both of us.

He sighed.

"I know what you're thinking. I know you still love me too. You're just scared. It's written all over your face." Legolas said.

"I know." I whispered.

"You're father told me you weren't the same when you returned to Rivendell. And every time you left to go explore or see someone, he was always afraid you weren't going to return." 

"I put him and a bunch of others through to much. I probably wouldn't have come home if it wasn't for Aragorn. He found me. I don't know how, but he did. I guess I'm thankful he did, but sometimes I wonder what would have happened would I have stayed hidden or even stayed in Mirkwood. Sometimes I think I should go back in time and make it to where I never met Kili or the dwarves. But then something else tells me I would regret that decision very much." I said.

He looked at me for a minute. 

"I don't blame you for leaving. I blame you for thinking you were pulling me down. I knew you were sad and angry about what happened at the mountain, but I knew you would get better with time. I hate that you thought leaving was the best decision. It may have been for you, but not for me. Or your family and friends. They love you. I love you. And when you left, you weren't just hurting yourself, but all of us." Legolas said.

I hated that he was right. Even though I didn't want to hear his words, I know he spoke the truth. I looked down, a tear fell from my eye. I brushed it away and got up and walked over to Aragorn and Boromir. They were silent. 

Aragorn gave me a look, asking if I was okay, but I just shrugged him off. I didn't feel like talking. After a few minutes, Legolas came over to us and he spoke with Aragorn. We continued to wait for Gandalf.

I walked over to Sam, Merry, and Pippin and they told me stories about the Shire and I told them stories about Rivendell.

Finally after a few hours Gandalf got up.

"Oh, its that way." He said.

We all looked at him.

"He's remembered." Merry said.

"No, but the air doesn't smell so foul down here. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose." Gandalf said and we all got up and followed him.

The Hobbits were in front of me, with Gandalf and Aragorn, Legolas, and Boromir were behind me.

The walk felt great after sitting down for hours. We walked through caves and taverns and then we came to a dark room.

"Let me risk a little more light." Gandalf said and the room lit up.

What we all saw, had us in awe. It was beautiful.

"Behold, the great realm of the Dwarf-city of Dwarrowdelf." Gandalf said.

It was beautiful. I know this was something I would probably never see again, so I kept my eyes wide open while I was looking. It was truly beautiful. If only little Melusine or Kili could see this. I wonder if Kili even knew about the Dwarf city here in Moria. 

There I go again, thinking about him as if he were still alive. Like I was on some journey far away from him and I would be seeing him soon. Only I wouldn't be seeing him, ever again.

I looked down, suddenly feeling sick and uncomfortable. I wanted to get out of here.

Someone came up from behind me and put there hand on my shoulder, as if to comfort me. I turned around and saw Aragorn and smiled at him.

I am so thankful he was on this quest as well. He was family, a brother to me. 

"There's an eye opener, no mistake." Sam said.

We walked down the long hall. I wonder how far it went. 

Gimli walked a little way to the side and he began to run when he saw a door, going to a room.

"Gimli!" Gandalf yelled, but tried to stay quiet.

We all ran after him.

"No. Oh, no." Gimli said when he was inside the room and he was bent over a tomb it looked like. 

Gimli began to cry and when I look at the name on the grave, I knew why and started crying too.

Gandalf looked at me.

"Its Balin." I whispered and Aragorn hugged me.

"He is dead. It's as I feared." Gandalf said.

I wiped my tears away and stood next to Gimli. I hugged him as he cried. Balin was one of my closets friends and the last time I had seen him was in the Shire many years ago. 

Gimli sobbed louder and louder. I felt horrible for him. I looked at Gandalf and saw him pick up a book.

I wonder how many dwarves from the company came with Balin.

"We must move on. We cannot linger." Legolas said. 

I looked up at him. He was right.

"They have take the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming." Gandalf read.

Aragorn quickly grabbed my shoulders, forcing me to stand.

"We need to leave." He said.

There was a clashing noise and we turned to see Pippin, standing near a well. He had accidentally knocked off a skeleton that was sitting on the well. It fell and the sound of it falling, lingered for the longest time.

It was silent for a few seconds, before Gandalf slammed the book shut and looked at Pippin.

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity." Gandalf said, and took his staff and hat back from him.

Pippin lowered his head in embarrassment. I felt bad, but I knew he would be okay.

Then we heard something else. The sound of drums.