Chapter 28

I saw the orc pile in the distance, as we got closer the smell became foul.

We got off the horses and began looking around. 

Gimli started digging through the pile of orcs with his axe. I looked around the pile, seeing if there were any sign of them.

Gimli pulled something out of the pile. 

"Its one of their wee belts." Gimli said.

"Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath." Legolas said. (Let them find peace after death.)

I looked to the ground. We failed them. I thought we could save them. This journey had been nothing but heartbreak. Losing people we loved or cared about. I felt like there was no hope left.

Aragorn got angry and kicked an orc helmet, sending it flying. He collapsed on the ground after letting out a horrible scream. 

"We failed them." I whispered.

Aragorn started moving.

"A Hobbit lay here. And the other." Aragorn said, touching the ground.

"Aragorn?" I asked.

"They crawled." He said and I knew he was deep in thought.

He slowly began to crawl in the direction the tracks were leading him too.

"Their hands were bound. Their bonds were cut." Aragorn said, picking up some rope.

Aragorn quickly got up and began to walk quickly.

"They ran over here. They were followed. Tracks lead away from the battle...into Fangorn Forest." 

"Fangorn? What madness drove them in there?" Gimli whispered.

"They may still be alive. Come." I said and ran into the forest.

---

Gimli wandered over to a bush, touching something and then spitting it out.

"Orc blood." He said.

We got deeper and deeper into the forest. It was like a tangled mess.

"These are strange tracks." Aragorn whispered.

"The air is so close in here." Gimli said, looking around.

"This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory and anger." Legolas said.

The trees started to creak. Gimli grabbed his axe.

"There speaking to each other." I whispered.

"Gimli! Lower your ax." Aragorn said to the panicked Gimli.

"They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak." Legolas said.

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings." Gimli said.

I smiled.

"I'm sure they wonder what we have to talk about too." I said.

"Aragorn, nad no ennas." Legolas said. (Something's out there.)

Legolas started walking faster. Deeper into the forest. Before he stopped.

"Man cenich?" Aragorn asked. (What do you see?)

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas whispered.

My face dropped.

"Amara get back." Aragorn said, making sure I was behind him and Legolas.