Chapter 15-I Watch Death

**Shaneria's P.O.V**

2 weeks later.
3:07am.
I roll over in my bed towards my night stand.
I clumsily pick up my ringing cell phone and answer tiredly, "hello?".
"Sorry to wake you so early, Dr Blenco, but do you think you can come in 5 hours early? You can leave at 3pm if that helps" the administer of emergency nursing on night shift, says.
"Someone better be dying, Linda" I growl and whip back my covers, then sit up on the edge of my bed and rub under my eyes with my free hand.
"So sorry, Shaneria. But you need to be here for this" she says, apologetically.
"Is it an emergency?" I ask, hoping not so I dont have to hurry.
"No, so take your time" she finishes before I end the call.
I then toss my phone on my pillow and rub my face harshly to help me wake up quicker.
I take a deep breath to ready myself and then pick out my scrubs for the day and head to my bathroom to change and wet my face with a cold cloth.

After, I write an apology note for leaving my sleeping sister and brother-in-law without saying goodbye and I remind Dani to fast for her ultrasound this morning.
I then grab my things, head out to my Tundra, and go off to the crazy workplace.

Immediately after I enter the floor, a nurse welcomes me back with irony.
Im not in the mood so I just look at her and then proceed to the nurse station.

Linda is writing on paperwork, so I knock on the desk to grab her attention.
She looks up to me and hands me a file.
I open the grey folder and look at the patient's name.
"Bethany Watson" I mutter to myself.
I read over the chart but dont see any injuries that I need to assess.
I look up to Linda, questioning, amd ask, "Is this the girl that had the mother who abandoned her?".
Linda nods and also tells me, "she dropped by and insisted on seeing you. We told her that you arent in until later at 8am but she really wants to see you".
"Where is she?" I ask and pick up the file.
"Waiting room" She replies and goes back to her pen.
I turn my back to her and now head to the emergency waiting room.

It's been about a month now since I last saw her.
She seems different.
More happier and looks healthier.
I stop 5 feet before her and say "Bethany?".
She looks over to me, smiles, and then stands up.
She had added red highlights to her hair and wore casual looking clothes instead of wearing dirty looking clothing.
"Sorry for getting you to come so early. But I needed to see you" she tells me.
Her voice has even changed.
She more calm and softer sounding.
"Is there something wrong? Are you alright?" I ask, wondering why she'd want to see me at this time of day.
"Im doing amazing, Dr Blenco. Although, every night after I got placed in a foster home, I couldn't sleep. I played it off as nothing but it just kept eatting at me. Eventually though, I knew what I had to do" she started.
I stared at her, waiting for her next sentence.
But it was an embrace that came out instead.
I was surprised at first, but soon rub her back in reply.
"Thank you so much for helping me. My life is so much better and I feel so much happier and free. I had to say thank you. That's what I needed to do" she tells me and continues to squeeze my guts.
"Oh no worries, hun. My job is to make you better" I smile and she soon breaks the hug.
"You are so amazing, Dr Blenco" she says.
"Aw thanks. I try" I grin, trying to poke some fun.
She gives a little giggle and hands me a little plastic box that looks to carry jewelry.
"Here" she smiles and I look at what she held out to me.
"I cant" I respond softly.
"I want you to take it. You helped me. Let me say thank you" she responds.
"Well, technically...I did" I smile.
She rolls her eyes and places the small box in my hand, closing my fingers over the top.
She looks me in the eye and then finishes, "you gave freely. So now you must receive freely".
"You dont need to gift me with anything, Bethany" I tell her.
She blushes and I continued, "knowing that youre doing better and that I was able to help you, is a gift alone".
"But I want you to have this" she shines.
Finally I accept.
But its not too long after, that she must run along. She has school tomorrow.