"Right." Her smile fades. "I'm sorry. Sometimes I forget that... you don't get excited about this kind of stuff."

Not with Carter, I want to answer.

"And that you guys aren't in the best place right now." She adds quickly.

I give her a comforting smile. Maya is so innocent.. and so unaware of who the man is she thinks she's in love with.

The man I'm supposed to be marrying soon.

"We'll be fine." I assure her, "I don't mean to seem off, there's just a lot going on right now. Are you alright?"

"Yeah of course." She smiles widely, but it doesn't reach her eyes.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Are you still worried about Carter kicking you out?"

"Yes." She frowns. "But you shouldn't be worrying about that. Right now, you should be focusing on the wedding and..."

"Chloe has the wedding covered." I cut her off. "Well, except for killing me off and taking my place."

Maya laughs, shaking her head at me. "Oh
God, I wouldn't put it past her!"

"Me either." I smile, grabbing my bag. "But seriously, if something's bothering you.. You can talk to me about it."

"I know."

"So...."

"So.." She exhales, sitting down on the red velvet bench next to the mirror. "It's just.. God, I don't know. This whole situation is just..."

"Royally f.ucked up?"

"Yes."

"And..." I gently urge her to go on.

"And I care for Carter. I know you don't see how, but.."

"I understand your reasons." I sit down next to her. "He saved you life. He's good to you."

"But he isn't very good to you?"

"He isn't good in general." I sigh. "And no, he isn't good to me. Not where it counts."

"Did he have Viktor hit you?"

"What?" My eyes shoot up, meeting hers.

"I saw you come out of his office last week, holding your cheek. And then Viktor followed you out. Did he hurt you? Please tell me he didn't."

"Maya..." I give her hand a squeeze.

"He did, didn't he?"

"Yes, but..."

"I knew it. I can't believe he did that. I'm so sorry Everly." Her eyes water.

"I'm fine." I try to assure her. "I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself alright?"

"I'm going to leave."

"What?" My breath catches in my throat.

"I'm going to leave. I found a friend to stay with in Boston. Well, not a friend. But a girl who needs a roommate. And there's a job opening at a little bookstore I used to go to as a kid."

I open my mouth to speak but no words come out.

This was exactly why I never told her about Carter. She'd finally grow afraid enough to try and leave him.

"I've got it all figured out Everly."

I shake my head, my heart hammering in my chest.

"And I want you to come with me." She adds. "We can both get away from all of this."

"But we can't." I finally respond, my voice quiet and strained. "We can't get away."

"But we can, we.."

"We can't."

"Not in New York we couldn't, but in Boston.."

"Boston isn't far enough. Nowhere is far enough. You can't leave Maya."

"But I..." Her smile fades to a worried frown. "I can take care of myself. I have it all worked out."

"He won't let you leave."

"But he doesn't even really care about me, he loves you."

"That's not the point." I shake my head. "He's not going to let you leave."

"Then I'll sneak out."

"And he'll find you." I say adamantly, raising my voice a little. "You can't just leave."

"Then what I can I do? I can't stay here Everly,
I can't do this anymore. I still care for him, but I can't live my life like this."

"You wait. You wait until the right time to go. And until then you keep doing exactly what you've been doing."

"How do I know when the right time is?"

"I'll tell you."

"And how will you know?"

"I just will." I smile faintly, picturing Carter being taken away in handcuffs.

Just like Margo promised he will be.

Knowing in my heart, this will never end with Aiden Carter being arrested.

It couldn't. He has to much pull, to much money. He'd be released in a matter of hours.

And he'd be coming after me. After Reid.

After Harry.

This can't end how Margo has promised me so many times it would.

This has to end with Carter dead.

This has to end with me killing him.

__________________________________
Short chapter, but it's helping set up some big things to come!
Please vote and comment lots! Motivates me to write more! ;)