43

-Everly

"I didn't think it would go this far."

"You mean you hoped it wouldn't. You knew how this was going to be Everly."

I squint, holding my hand above my eyes to block the sun as I look over at Margo. "I guess I thought he would be willing to do it just for the money."

"Not everyone is as money hungry as Bridge." Margo smiles at me before looking out across the pool.

"I never thought he was like that." I defend myself. "His family never had a lot. One of his reasons for coming over here was to be able to send them some. To help out."

"And that's why you chose him."

"That's one of the reasons." I nod.

"Yes, one. The least important one." Margo sighs, sitting up from the chaise and turning towards me. "You picked Harry out of dozens of boxers. Any one of them could use the money. That wasn't why he was your final choice."

I look away from her, shaking my head in disgust. "How can I not hate myself Margo?"

"Because you did it for a good reason. The best reason. What we're trying to do, it could save lives. Don't ever forget that Everly."

"I haven't. I just..."

"You've fallen for him."

"No." I sit up, my body stiffening. "I haven't."

"Alright.." Margo smiles to herself, "If you don't already, then you're well on your way."

"It doesn't matter either way."

"Sure seems like it does."

"How could it?" I frown, "I mean, really... there's no happy ending here. Even if we get through this, if everything goes how we planned, at some point I'm going to have to tell him the truth. I'm pretty sure telling him I set him up.. picked him cause of his past with Decker, cause his father has a secret gambling problem... to..."

My voices fades off, my stomach feeling sick.

God, I'm such a horrible person.

"Hey." Margo squeezes my arm gently to pull me out of my thoughts. "He could also understand why you did it. He could forgive you."

"He shouldn't forgive me."

"Good thing it doesn't matter then right?" She smirks at me. "Since you don't like him and all."

"Fine." I huff, crossing my arms. "Maybe I do. But I haven't fallen for him.. completely anyway."

Margo chuckles. "From what I've seen it would be pretty hard not to. Those muscles and dimples. Never mind the accent.."

"You have no idea." I sigh.

"Are your feelings for him going to be a problem?"

"No."

"I'm serious Everly. We can't have anything getting in the way of what we're trying to accomplish."