Chapter 13

Connor woke up in the nurses office at school. He looked around, it was a stereotypical nurses room; white walls, white floors, white windows with white curtains, white doors, and white beds with white sheets. Everything was white.  

 Connor looked out the window and winced, his head hurt like a bitch. He sighed. "I can't believe I've gone and gotten myself beaten up." he muttered.  

 "You're up, good." he heard a female voice in the room, she sounded friendly, "You don't have a concussion by the looks of it, just a nasty kick. You're all patched up now, though." she smiled. She had a friendly smile.  

 Connor looked at her. She reminded him of Laura. She was small and slim, with light brown hair down to her elbow. She had a round face, with big, friendly blue eyes. Yeah, she reminded him a lot of Laura. "Um, thanks." he said, "Do you have anything I could take for a headache, though?" he asked. 

 "Oh, yeah." she said, taking two round, white tablets from the pocket of her white blouse, "Take these at about five o'clock. They'll make you a little drowsy, so I'd recommend lying down in a dark room after." 

 Connor looked at the clock, it was half three now, school wasn't even over. Connor sighed. "Alright." he said.  

 "We called your parents, they're coming to pick you up." said the nurse, Connor read her name tag, it read 'Amy.' He didn't know what was worse, staying in school until four, or having his parents know he got into a fight. "I guess there was no point in trying to hide it, anyway." he muttered under his breath.  

 "Hmm?" said the nurse.  

 "Nothing." he sighed.  

 "Alright," she said, not really paying attention. 

 The phone rang, the nurse, Amy, answered it. "Oh alright," she said, "I'll tell him now." She hung up and spun around to Connor, "Your parents are here." she smiled.  

 "Oh, alright." he replied, dreading what was going to come. His mother wouldn't be happy about him getting into a fight in his first week at school.  

 He walked out to the office. He saw his mother standing at the door, tight lipped and obviously angry. His father was standing beside her, laughing. The idea of Connor getting into a fight was pretty funny to him.  

 He walked through the glass office doors, and as soon as his mother saw him she started. "Connor Franta! We raised you better than this! Getting into fights, I couldn't believe it when the school rang me! I am mortified! You're grounded for the rest of this month!" As soon as she said 'grounded', something clicked. He was supposed to go to KFC tonight. He had to, what if Laura showed up and he wasn't there? He couldn't text her, while getting beat up the gang had somehow smashed his phone.  

 He knew what he had to do, he had to sneak out. Sure he would get in trouble, but if he got to see Laura, it was worth it.  

 But then what if she never showed up? He wouldn't blame her, but he had to try anyway.  

 Yeah, he was gonna get in a lot of trouble for sneaking out, but he had to do it. He had to at least make an attempt.