(Chapter 12) Something Worth Living For

Start from the beginning

“Who is this, Honey?” Heather finally asked when she realised Allison wasn’t leaving.

“Err – this is Allison. Ally, I’d like you to meet Heather, my-”

“Allison. As in your ex-girlfriend Allison?” Heather looked between him and Allison, her brows furrowed in what Eric could only discern as annoyance.

Eric sighed; there was no getting out of this one, “Yeah, one and the same.”

“Hmm,” Heather seemed to be in thought and was about to say something when her eyes landed on the little figure, who’d ducked behind her mothers legs.

Eric watched as her eyes flicked from Chloe back to him, but then she froze, realisation finally seeming to hit home. The look of annoyance on Heather’s face turned to one of disbelief as she looked at Chloe once again.

Eric slowly let out a breath, closing his eyes. This was not how he’d pictured things going. He’d had a plan, a set way for unravelling the truth, only to have it explode in his face.

The comprehension of the situation was evident on Heather’s face and with one motion she glared in horror between Eric and Allison. Eric risked a peek at Allison only to see a sheepish look on her face.

“Please tell me that isn’t who I’m thinking it is.” Heather said in a low voice, as she pointed to Chloe.

Eric held up his hand in defence, “I can explain-”

“Explain!” she exclaimed, “What exactly. How you’ve been lying to me for the past two years about not having kids?”

People on the crowded street, sitting and enjoying their lunch, were all staring now as Heather yelled in exasperation. Allison seemed to notice this too and shifted uncomfortable where she stood.

“I haven’t been lying to you.” Eric said in a hush.

“Oh please, the evidence is right there.” She pointed at Chloe again, something which he and Allison both didn’t seem to like.

“Look, you’re angry right now and I get that. But we should talk about this at home and not out here in the open.” Heather’s gaze seemed to wonder over the crowd who’d stopped to watch the drama unfold.

“Fine.”

“I think we’ll be going too. Come on, Chloe, let’s go.” Allison was about to steer Chloe away when she felt long fingers curl around her upper arm, stopping her in her tracks.

“Oh no, you’re coming with us. I want an explanation from the both of you.”

Allison’s voice was dangerously low when she pulled her arm free, “I won’t subject my daughter to this. You can yell at me all you want, but we leave her out of this.”

Heather stepped back at the force of her words. Eric knew he had to intervene. Heather might have every right to be angry with him, but with one glance at his daughter, he knew he didn’t want her to hear any of the things that would be exchanged between them.

“I agree with Allison. She doesn’t need to be a part of this. Besides, this is between me and you.”

“Fine.” She snapped again, storming off.

Eric turned to face an angry Allison, “I’m sorry about that. I should have given you a heads up. She showed up last night. I hadn’t been expecting her until next week.”

She held up her hand, silencing him, “Just deal with this okay. Say goodbye to your dad Chloe.”

“Bye,” she waved as they headed back to their car.