|03.|

[Kaia.]

"Do you think there's gonna be some cute girls there, auntie Kai?" Malachi asked me.

"I have a feeling there will be, Mal," I clipped in my septum ring,"But I'm tryin' to get dressed so can you get out for a few."

He nodded and walked out.

I already took a shower earlier and Malachi is already dressed but of course my stubborn ass isn't.

We're going to Gianna's family cookout so I should make my appearance since that's my friend's family. I looked in the closet and seen nothing but a big pile of clothes. I sighed and picked out a pair of light acid washed shorts since it's warm outside in Los Angeles.

I then got a white tank top and a white and blue jersey then put all of that on. I parted my hair to the side and put some of my MAC products on my face.

I put my black Air Force 1's, grabbed my MCM bag then walked downstairs to see Malachi checking him self out in the mirror.

"Boy, look at you! You think you cute, huh?"

"Heck yeah! I have the cutest face on the planet. All them boys in my class jealous cause I get more girls."

I shook my head and laughed. He's gonna be a player just like Cameron when he was little.

"You ready to head out?"

"Yup!" He ran from the mirror and out the door.

I lightly laughed and got in my car. I put Gianna's aunt's address in my GPS then drove off. Then my boo Chris Brown's song 'Sex You Back To Sleep' came on.

"Just let me rideeee!" I sang. Malachi covered his ears, terrified.

"Auntie Kai, you sound like a donkey that just got smacked on the butt." He stated.

When I stopped the car, I put my hand over my heart.

"You're 'posed to say I did good and I have the voice of an angel."

"A zombie angel? Then yeah!" He beamed.

I fake cried as I started to drive again.

"Girl, stop fake crying. That's not gonna do anything." He retorted.

I couldn't help but laugh. He's so much like Cameron, it's crazy.

I parked about a couple cars away from Gianna's aunt's house and we walked to the front door.

I rang the doorbell and we waited. The scent of ribs hit my nose, making my stomach grumble. The door opened and out came Gianna.

"Kai!" She smiled, hugging me.

She looked at Malachi,"Hey boyfriend!" She kissed his cheek.

"Hey bae!" He cheesed.

I pouted,"I thought I was your girlfriend, Mal."

"I can have y'all both. There's plenty of Malachi to go around." He innocently smiled.

I shook my head and laughed as Gianna did the same.

"Ok so, everyone's in the back. Some people are already making there plates but the ribs and crawfish aren't ready yet. A few of my cousins aren't here yet just to let you know if you wanted to meet them." She informed.

I slowly nodded and she stated at my septum ring,"Does that hurt?"

"Not really. I'm used to it."

"It's so pretty on you!" She smiled,"I'm so jealous of your beauty!"

I chuckled,"Your pretty too, Gi."

"Ohhh I have a nickname!" She cheesed.

I looked next to me to see if Malachi was ok but then he wasn't there.

We went outside to the backyard. It looks like everyone's having fun. Little kids were in the pool playing Marco Polo, grown people were drinking and reminiscing, and people my age were playing around.

I seen Malachi in the pool, playing with the kids without his shirt and sneakers on. I'm glad I let him wear swimming trunks.

A lady with short black hair and a smile on her face.

"Hey Auntie Sheila!" Gianna kissed her cheek.

"Hey baby. Who's your friend?"

"Hi, I'm Kaia." I tried to shake her hand but she stopped me.

"We don't shake hands in this family, we hug." Then she embraced me in a hug.

I laughed and hugged her back. She looked at me,"You look really famila'."

Then a little girl tapped Miss Sheila's leg before I could speak. She look down and smiled.

She picked her up,"Where's your sisters, Kay?"

"They sick. Mama had to keep them home."

"So who brought you here?"

"Uncle Aug." she said, squirming so Miss Sheila could let her down.

Me and Gianna moved over to where some of the drinks were. I'm glad I just turned 21 cause I'm bout to get my drink on.

"I can't wait til you meet my cousin Aug. I can tell y'all gonna be good friends." She smirked.

I laughed,"I don't fuck wit niggas like that. They a waste of my time."

"Aw, how come?"

"Dealt wit too many heartbreaks in the past." I mumbled.

"Aww. Aug is not like dat, I promise. He's different." She addressed. I slowly nodded as I watched Malachi in the pool.

[August.]

        I decided to go finally go outside and talk ta some people. I went to the backyard and seen everybody having a good time. I seen my mom talking to my aunt so I'll leave her alone for right now.

I seen my neice, Kay playing in da pool wit some lil boy. She better careful, I don't care if she 8 or 1,000 she not having no boyfriend.

Then I seen my cousin Gianna talking to this sexy guh'. She had curves in all the right places and the face of a goddess. The septum ring in her nose made her look even more like a beauty queen.

I gotta talk ta her. I walked towards them and seen the girl looking at me. She looks so familiar, she reminds me of my dead friend Cameron.

"August!" Gianna squealed, hugging me.

I chuckled,"Wessuh' Gi?"

"Nothin'. Dis my friend Kaia. Kaia, this is my cousin August." She introduced.

Then it hit me, she's Cameron's little sister,"Kai Kai?" I called her by her childhood nickname.

"Auggie?" She asked. I nodded and smirked. She hugged me and I hugged back.

"So I take it y'all know each other." Gianna smirked.

"Since we were kids." I laughed.

Gianna nodded and I looked Kaia up and down,"Damn guh'. Ya changed. A lot! Ya used ta wear big puff balls in ya hair and carry around dat ugly ass doll." Kai giggled and nodded.

"Same witcha. Ya always used to carry dat microphone everywhere, like you can actually sing." She chuckled and I shook my head.

"I can sing ma. You just never heard meh." I smirked.

Gianna tip toed away while we talked and went over to our cousin, Brielle.

"Ya gonna have ta sing to me one day."

"I will, babygirl. I promise."