Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

It was pitch black all around so I couldn't see anything. Then there was light. A bright beam shone down on me. I lifted my hand to block out the glare as I got my bearings. The single light focused on me revealed what I was wearing: a red three quarter sleeved sparkly dress with an open back, old white Vans that had seen better days it seemed, and my hair was pulled up and back with a black flower.

I touched the dress I wore, wondering where it had come from. How did I get here? Where is here? As well, why was I wearing a dress I didn't remember having? In front of me, another light flashed on. Standing in the glorious light was Sebastian, in black dress pants and a white collar shirt with red suspenders. It reminded me of what he wore to the masquerade. How were we here? I didn't have any idea in my head, but it seemed my head wasn't controlling anything, only my heart.

A guitar solo began, the bass thrummed in my heart like a vibration, waking every inch of my being. I looked towards Sebastian and made my way over to him as the song began:

Oh don't you dare look back

Just keep your eyes on me

I said you're holding back

She said shut up and dance with me!

I offered my hands to Sebastian. Beaming down at me like I was the love of his life, he took them in his own; fitting like two puzzle pieces once more. Lifting to the air, we circled our adjoining hands to the left, then the right. Then, pulling back, we propelled forward and I was spun out and back into his arms.

This woman is my destiny

She said, ooh, ooh

Shut up and dance with me!

Sebastian pulled me close and taking his left hand into my right, he swayed me around getting lost in the music. We didn't need to speak, or tell each other anything. The music and our hearts spoke for us in this moment.

We were victims of the night

The chemical, physical, kryptonite!

Helpless to the bass and the fading light

Oh we were bound to get together

Bound to get together

I knew I wasn't controlling any part of my body. It moved only of it's own accord and rhythm, but I'd never felt freer or more zoetic. There were no bounds, no pain, no inhibitions holding me back. It was just me, the incredible man in front of me, and the music. Nothing else mattered.

She took my arm

I don't know how it happened

We took the floor and she said

Oh don't you dare look back

Just keep your eyes on me

I said you're holding back

She said shut up and dance with me!

This woman is my destiny

She said oh, oh, oh!

Shut up and dance with me!

Sebastian and I moved together in a perfect conjunction, our eyes never leaving each other.

A backless dress and some beat up sneaks

Ian secured his hands around my waist and he dipped me backward, never wavering in his strong hold on me.