Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I'm on the floor, floor

I love to dance!

So give me more, more

Till I can't stand!

Get on the floor, floor

Like it's your last chance!

if you want more, more

Then here I am!

Starships, were meant to fly!

Hands up, and touch the sky!

Let's do this one last time!

Hands up, now one more time!

To be honest, I'm not really one for Nicki Minaj. She's alright to me and I admire the guts she has but one of the rules for dance class at Seraphim is that songs must be approved by the headmistress, Miss Betsey. When I got my own classes, she took one look at me and said, "I don't care what songs you play in here, but when there are children present, there can be no foul language from the teacher or in the music."

So, I loopholed, like all the time. And in this case, Starships by Nicki Minaj was inappropriate for class. But the Megan Nicole and Lindsey Stirling version wasn't! So, I was able to use it for my new freestyle dance classes that had finally been approved by the board of directors. I used the argument that children needed a class to develop creative skills and to express themselves, whether they were trained in structured class or not. Freestyle offered that. Plus there was a big dance competition coming up in the spring, and I knew these kids could win. I just needed to get the approval for us to compete. Miss Betsey had put in a word for me, but now it was up to the directors.

I had seven kids in my freestyle class right now: I had Stacy, Eli, Jazzy, Jack, Clarina, Aaron, and Ashlei. Aaron and Ashlei were twins, and they were gymnasts before they joined my class. Stacy used to be in Janie's class before she switched to mine (that woman was not happy about that). She was a good ballerina, which made her balance impeccable for her freestyle dance. It was a good thing of her to apply the ballet to this class. She was also good at helping the other kids balance and move lightly. These guys were a little bit older than I usually had in my old class, which was now given to a junior instructor named Kari. Clarina was twelve almost thirteen, Aaron and Ashlei were fourteen, Eli, Jazzy, and Jack were all sixteen, and Stacy was seventeen. Clarina was a human pretzel, bending and twisting into any shape possible. Aaron and Ashlei had this uncanny ability of always being in sync. Whenever they danced together, they were always in tune with each other. It was like watching a mirror image and a real person dance (they had been taught various ballroom and line dances, like the tango, the rhumba, mambo, swing, and the waltz). It must have been a twin thing. I envied them. Jack was a tumbler, and wasn't afraid to roll around or perform acrobatic stunts. Jazzy was a hip hop dancer and knew how to bump and grind (in a matter of speaking. I don't glorify stripper dancing) like nobody's cupcake. I had a few rules in my class: no yelling, raise your hand before you talk, and always support your fellow dancers. I needed these guys to be a team if I was going to pull off this competition deal. Though it wasn't a guarantee yet, I was hopeful for it.

I watched as the kids faced each other in a dance off. There was no winner or loser, but merely a test factor to find out what these kids could do. To see if they could push themselves. So far it was working pretty good, I could see Aaron and Jack whispering and pointing to Stacy as she pirouetted and chasse across the floor. I casually stalked over to them from behind to listen to them: