Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I watch her as she disappears, letting go of my hand. I hate to leave her now, but my friend couldn’t wait, especially after the call I was about to receive as my phone buzzed for the third time in my pocket.

Five minutes later I was calling my driver as I replayed the conversation in my head: 

Sir, we’ve found him and we have the warrant. We’re going to make the arrest tonight. 

I’m on my way. I want to see him when he’s arrested

The detective had protested, Sir I don’t think that’s such a good---

I’ll be there in five minutes. This is my family we are talking about! 

I had to go, but I would come back for her, for the beautiful blue eyed siren I had danced with. For my bonita.

*******************

A little bit of Monica in my life

A little bit of Erica by my side

A little bit of Rita’s all I need

A little bit of Tina’s what I see

A little bit Sandra in the sun

A little bit of Mary all night long

A little bit of Jessica here I am

A little bit of you makes me your man!

Lou Bega was classic in my opinion when it came to dancing. I could never get sick of this song. The DJ had reclaimed his place in the booth after John Renoui and the band had cleared off the stage. I looked around for Toni, Astrid and possibly Anita. I wasn’t sure if I was going to tell them about Ben just yet, but I would have to sooner or later. I can’t hide stuff from my little sister. It’s physically impossible for me to do that. Ok, well I’d just have to take it one step at a time.

I spotted them out on the floor about fifty feet away from me. Toni saw me first and motioned to the other two that I was back. They made a quick show of getting through the crowd to get to me, “Kaye! Where the heck have you been?!” Toni shouted over the music.

I bit my lip nervously. What was I supposed to tell them? Oh just tell them the truth I said to myself. It would go over easier, “I was dancing with someone!”

Three pairs of shocked eyes stared at me before I was hustled outside to where I had left Benjamin only moments ago. He was gone, but he’d promised he’d come back, right? I believed him, but there was a tiny logical voice in my head that told me not to, that he wasn’t completely honest with me. I ignored it, blaming it on my paranoia. There was nothing to be worried about. I knew something was different about Benjamin. That’s why I let myself believe what he told me.

Once we were outside, Astrid was the first to drill me in her fashion of a detective, “Who was he and where is he? I want to know who was touching my sister.”

“His name is Benjamin. He had to go for a minute but he promised to come back to me by midnight,” I told her.

“Is he attractive?” Toni asked.

 I nodded as Astrid started her own paranoid rant, “Toni, could you please focus on the fact that Kaye was just dancing and fricking alone with a complete stranger?!”