Despair

(( I'm going to attempt to update more frequently from now on ;)

Also inline commenting is soups cool  ))

"Dad?!" I shrieked, nearly choking on my food.

"Yes, your dad!" Komaeda exclaims, grinning eagerly at the man sitting nearby.

"Well, Komaeda-San here mentioned to me that you two were very close, and I wanted to catch up again," my "dad" exclaims. You don't realize how much of a mistake you've made... I thought, trying to remain as positive as humanly possible.

"W-where have you been?!" I stammer, my voice piercing through the calm atmosphere of the restaurant. I hadn't seen my dad since I was 5 years old, so I only had very faint memories of him. However, I suppose this man did loosely resemble my father, provided he was over 10 years older.

"I suppose your mother never told you," the man sighed into his glass of water.

"You see, when you were very young, I had received a job opportunity to go work in New York. While I had lived your mother to death and urged her to come with me, she refused, claiming that 'New York was no place to raise a child'. Since the job opportunity was so appealing to me at the time, I divorced your mother and left to come here."

"Mom..." I murmured, a guilty pang hitting my stomach. "Why did you leave if you cared so much?"

"I..." The man started, choking on air.

"Do you even know where mom is right now?" I shouted, tears welling up in my eyes.

"(Y/n)-chan..." Komaeda nagged, staring at me wth pleading eyes.

"I can't express how bad of a decision I made when I decided to come here," my father exclaimed, his voice growing weaker.

"Well then, why can't you come back home? It's clear that you've made it well off here, dad," I asked. Komaeda sat silently, his hand rubbing the small of my back. While I would have been a blushing mess under normal circumstances, I was too occupied to notice.

"That's what I wanted to tell you..." He murmured softly. "I'm so sorry about what I've done, (y/n). And I want to go apologize to your mom. So, when you and Komaeda end up traveling back, I'll follow right behind you. Please don't throw me away like I did to you, I want to set things right and break the cycle."

The cycle.

I knew in that moment that this man was definitely my father. He knew about the cycle, the very thing that haunted me until I had met Komaeda.

"I can promise you that I won't."

--

The plane comes to a complete halt on the catwalk, the same January landscape I had known my entire life greeting me. Once my foot had made contact with the pavement of the catwalk, a feeling of unease washed over me.

"Komaeda..." I stuttered, looking back at him as he climbs off of the plane.

"Oh, for gods sake (y/n)-chan! We've known each other for this long and you still don't call me Nagito!" He exclaims as he grabs my hand and pulls me with him to the building separating the catwalk and the outside world.

"Ok... But do we know how my mom is?" I asked him nervously.

"I wouldn't. Do you want to go and visit?"

I nod.

When we step through the hospital doors, my heart starts pounding like a drum. I wearily approach the front desk, at which a young woman only a couple years older than me looks up and smiles.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She asked cheerily.

"I'm here to check on my mother, (mothers name)," I replied breathily. The woman clicks through her computer and suddenly a large frown forms on her face.

"Please, go up to the fifth floor waiting room and sit down," she commanded, trying to devoid her voice of emotion. I rid the elevator up alone, taking a seat in the nearby chair.

"Are you miss (y/n)?" A man wearing a lab coat asked me.

"Yes..." I replied. "How is my mother doing?" The man sighs and bows his head with humility.

"I'm very sorry to tell you this, but your mother passed a few hours ago."