A Penny

"What do you mean?!" I shouted, the words forming white clouds in front of me.
"Well, I was lucky enough to meet someone like you! You see, I don't really have many friends..." the pale boy started, his gaze fixated on some point in the distance. What did he mean? Although he was a little odd, he seemed nice enough.
"....I'm sorry," I choked, stopping in my tracks as he turns to me.
"It's not your fault, (y/n)-San. After all, you're my friend, aren't you?!" he exclaimed, an innocent smile spread across his face.
"Yes, I'm your friend," I responded, turning away to continue the walk to the park.
"What are you even doing out here, anyway?!" Komaeda asked, in an attempt to engage me in a conversation.
"Exams are coming up, and I just needed to clear my head," I sighed, turning into the park.
"That's rough. I don't go to school around here, so I wouldn't know. But I'm sure you'll do just fine," Komaeda  exclaimed, stopping in his tracks in front of the fountain. It was a pretty small fountain, but it was practically filled to the brim with coins. People of all ages would gather and make a wish, some claiming the fountain had "mystical powers". While I think it's a complete lie, I'd gladly do anything to get out of this mundane life.
"What are you gonna wish for?" He innocently asked as I pulled the copper coin out from my pocket.
"I dunno," I slurred, holding the coin out in front of me. I wish for...... good grades on my exams, I thought, about to throw the coin in. No, I don't! I don't want good grades. They won't make me happy. I wish for.... some change. For better or for worse, I just want something to happen. Even if it is bad, it's better than living in this boring routine. The coin hits the water, a loud plop sounding along with the running water.
"What did you wish for?" Komaeda asked, his serene grey eyes staring into mine.
"I'll never tell," I stuttered, a playful grin spreading across his face.
"Haha, alright. Would you like to join me for some coffee?" He offered, gesturing in the direction of downtown.
"Absolutely," I giggled. As we made our way to the shop, soft white snowflakes began to small from the sky. It took a lot of self restraint to not make a joke about him being one. Once we made it to the coffee shop, the snow had picked up quite a bit more. We dashed through the door, the dark sky behind us.  I threw off my scarf and coat and put them on a chair, Komaeda doing the same. After we had ordered our drinks and snacks, we sat together, ignoring the flurry of snow behind us.
"Hey, (y/n)-San. Can I tell you something?" Komaeda asked, putting his bagel back on his plate.
"I suppose so," I replied.
"Well, my mom and dad were both very rich. One day, when we took a plane ride, they were killed. After I inherited their money, I next won the lottery. But after having all of that money, I thought to myself. What would really make me happy? My mom and dad were pretty neglectful, and I really didn't get to know them that well. And it seemed that anyone I had talked to after their passing would only want to be with me for my wealth. And then, it hit me. I couldn't force happiness. Nothing could get me happiness. It just happens, randomly. You can't control it. But if you want it enough, then it happens."
"What are you saying?"
"What I'm trying to tell you is, I think that our meeting today was more than just a coincidence. I think this was my random moment of happiness. This might be the break from my routine life. Because, I feel completely different, (y/n)-san. I feel like you're different."