Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten:
So the lads seemed in much better spirits once it was decided that I would attend the gala with them. I didn't know if I'd like it at all, but I figured with them it would end up being fun. As the band finished up, I grew excited. Who wouldn't want to go to a party with them? My only worry was they'd drink the night away as young superstars they were.
"Oh stop it. It'll be fun." I told myself. I needed to get used to the fact I was staying here for a while, for the unforeseeable future at least and I had to decide whether I was gonna be removed from their lives or help them along. Of course I wanted to help them. My, the lads were chatty as we took the car back home. Discussing what to wear and what girls to look for and...other things I won't repeat. Maybe they thought I wasn't listening but I sure was.
"They're young men. What else would they be thinking about?" I thought, hiding a blush.
"Ashley?" Someone's voice brought me out of my slight embarrassment.
"Hm?" I asked.
"You're okay with going right?" It was Paul.
"Yeah it'll be fine. I'm sure I'll keep myself occupied." I said, smoothing out my skirt and trying to not sound as awkward as I felt. I was slightly relieved when the car let us off.
"Now to find something to wear." I thought.

*********************

It didn't take long for me to realize that I still only had the three dresses that Paul and I had got when I first arrived. They were day dresses...totally not acceptable to wear to a fancy party!
"What am I gonna do?" I thought, beginning to worry. I hadn't a cent to my name over there, and I sure as hell wasn't gonna hit Paul up for cash. I wasn't that type of girl.
"Hey, busy?" A knock came at my ajar door. I turned to see a sheepish looking George in the doorway.
"Oh. Hi George. No I'm not busy." I said, putting a smile on my face.
"What's the matter?" He noticed anyway.
"Oh nothing. Just ..I don't have anything nice to wear tonight." I shrugged.
"Well that won't do." He said, looking concerned.
"Don't worry about it. Maybe I'll just have to stay home." I shrugged sadly. I left the room, leaving him standing there. John and Paul were in the living room both reading some type of paper.
"Hey Ashley. What's new?" Paul asked.
"Since ten minutes ago, nothing." I said with a slight smile. Disappointment tugged in my gut but I tried to not let it show. I hoped they weren't as good at reading emotion as George.
"Why don't you play something for us? We don't have to leave for a few hours." John suggested without looking up. Still, just him addressing me nicely was such an achievement for me.
"Sure." I said in a perky voice as I went to the piano. My fingers danced above the keys as I tried to think of something to play once again.

Wise men say only fools rush in
but I can't help falling in love with you...

George's POV
I felt bad for Ashley. She didn't have a nice dress to wear so immediately she gave up all hope of going. I couldn't see a girl unhappy so I knew what I had to do.
"Hey. Come with me up town." I said, going to grab Ringo.
"Why? What's there?" He asked.
"I'm gonna get something lovely for Ashley to wear tonight." I said, feeling a blush creep up my neck. Ringo gave me a look.
"George Harrison, are you sweet on Miss Ashley?" He asked me. I looked away. Maybe I was. She was unlike any girl I'd ever met before. And so yes maybe I liked her.
"I just wanna do something nice for her." I shrugged. But Ringo knew better.
"You like her." He smirked, getting up to go with me. As we passed the living room where lovely piano music was coming from, I heard a lovely female voice.

Shall I stay
would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you
Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you...

She was so beautiful and talented. I just wanted to make her happy.

Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
some things are meant to be
take my hand, take my whole life too
for I can't help falling in love with you