"Anytime Belle." She smiled a genuine smile this time before waving goodbye and heading home.

~*~

When I got home, Mrs Potts greeted me kindly with a smile, but her eyes told that she knew things were unsettled between the two of us. Thankfully she didn't say anything a about it. The only thing she said was that dinner would begin promptly at 5 and that she was looking forward to catching up with me. I graciously accepted and made up an excuse of having homework before darting off to my room before she could approach the topic of Adam.

I shut my door quietly, letting my weight rest against it as I slid to the floor. The room in front of me was extravagant. It was everything a girl could ever want, but it seemed dull in comparison to what I really wanted.

Turning my head, I glanced at the picture frame I had set on the desk once I arrived. It was at least ten years old, but the memory was still fresh in my head. Papa had taken me to see the ocean one week. He would pick me up when the waves would send me toppling down.

I sighed, wishing more than anything to have my father back.

Still amidst my thoughts, a knock arrived at the door and I stood to answer it wearily. What if it was Adam? No, Adam wouldn't knock on the door.

I swung the door open to see Mrs Potts. "Dinner is ready, dear," she announced, inviting me to walk to the dining room with her. I fell in step beside her quietly.

Adam didn't bother to show, which didn't really surprise me. Mrs Potts paid no notice of his absence. She went on happily chatting away about her newest recipe. I feigned interest to keep her happy.

After dinner I helped her carry the dishes to the kitchen, then dismissed myself. Today had been buzzing with activity. I needed some fresh air.

The sun had long set over the horizon, leaving the dark sky filled with scattered stars in its place. The moon was high and bright, providing light for me to walk. I found my feet taking me to the lake I had stumbled upon a few days ago.

I was almost there when I heard a sudden noise. Whipping around, I searched for the cause, but I didn't see anything. Convincing myself I was crazy, I turned around and kept walking.

I heard it again.

I paused for a second, the only sound being my heavy breaths. Suddenly something came into view. Or someone rather.

Adam was standing silently staring across the lake. His hands were clasped behind his back, his hair casually sweeping across it. Instead of appearing dark and rough around the edges, somehow he now seemed soft and peaceful in the moon light.

I didn't know whether to keep going or turn around and go back. Seeing him like this seemed private somehow.

"Don't go."

His voice surprised me. Crickets chirped, the water rippled and lapped against the grass, and the trees groaned in the wind, but his words cut through the night like a blade. It was as if everything suddenly dropped off and it was just us.

I walked up to stand beside him. His stance didn't move. If he hadn't have just spoken, I would have thought he was oblivious to my presence.